Author Topic: Millicent CARPENTER of Worcester (or Martin Hussingtree?), b c1782  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Millicent CARPENTER of Worcester (or Martin Hussingtree?), b c1782
« on: Monday 29 December 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot.  Is anyone researching the CARPENTER family in the Worcester area? 

On 23 Apr 1805 or 1806 (depending whether you believe the parish register or bishop's transcript), a Millicent CARPENTER married Richard HULBERT in Hinton Ampner, Hampshire.  They had seven children between 1807 and 1820: two baptised at Hinton Ampner, one at Wickham, and four at the non-conformist chapel at Titchfield, all in Hants.  Richard died and on 15 Oct 1833 at Bursledon, Hants, Millicent married Isaac SMITH, a widower.  By the 1851 census she was widowed again but was listed in the household of her son-in-law Mark DIAPER in Hamble-le-Rice, aged 69, so born 1781-2, and gave her place of birth as the City of Worcester.  Her death was registered in Q2 1860, in the South Stoneham district of Hants.

Can anyone help with Millicent's baptism?  FamilySearch contains a baptism on 10 Sep 1780 at Martin Hussingtree, Worcs, daughter of Thomas & Millicent CARPENTER.  Martin Hussingtree is only 5 miles out of the centre of Worcester, and Millicent is not a very common name, so it seems a plausible match.  But I've done no research in Worcestershire and have no clear idea what FamilySearch's coverage is like in the area, how common a surname CARPENTER was there, and whether Millicent was common locally.  Is anyone able to help?

Richard
[email: richard AT ex HYPHEN parrot DOT com]

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Millicent CARPENTER of Worcester (or Martin Hussingtree?), b c1782
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Not got much to be honest but I do know the area and no Millicent is not a common name in the area.Familysearch does have fairly good coverage of Worcester and will include most of the parishes of Worcester City itself.There was a small area that was extra parochial in the City but it's unlikely she just happened to came from that small block.

I've tried Freereg and again no other Millicent Carpenters in the area.

The couple married at Kidderminster 20.2.1780 Thomas Carpenter and Millicent Blakebrough.
Again from Familysearch.

Blakeborough is not a local name and I'm willing to go with a online tree that says Millicent Blakebrough was born 1752 ,the daughter of Abraham and Millicent Blakebrough nee Milnes who had moved from Dewsbury in Yorkshire.
The burials for Abraham in 1784 and Millicent in 1801 are on FindMyPast at Kidderminster.
The Tree is  on Ancestry.

Brother Abraham and his wife Mary are christening their children at the Old Meeting house in Kiddermister William born 31.5.1799 bapt  8.7.1799.Father from Leeds and mother from Kidderminster.So the family do have non-conformist leanings.

The christenings for Abraham Senior and Millicent start from 1774 -1779 in Kidderminster .Their eldest Anthony at Cahpel Allerton 16.7.1752.

I also tried FindMyPast which is supposed to have the records for Worcestershire but again no Millicent Carpenters.I think you have the right Millicent.
Have you also noticed that her birthplace is also on the 1841 census?

As for Thomas Carpenter there to be several baptism in the area and it's probably best to check out the full details of that marriage and earlier census and name records for Kidderminster which may have survived.There are several.

All the best
Ciderdrinker

Offline Dadsarmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
family
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 09:26 BST (UK) »
Dose anyone no a Robert Sidney carpenter born 1912 serviced in the England army from 1928-1944 as Sidney carpenter and other spell of his first name Sydney

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Millicent CARPENTER of Worcester (or Martin Hussingtree?), b c1782
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 01:34 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd post an update on this for the benefit of anyone else researching this family.

I'm fairly happy that the Millicent CARPENTER who married Richard HULBERT in Hinton Ampner, Hants in 1805 or 1806 is the same Millicent CARPENTER who was baptised in Martin Hussingtree, Worcs in 1780, daughter of Thomas and Millicent CARPENTER, then of Worcester.  The dates match fairly well, Millicent is a pretty rare name, and Thomas and both Millicents seem to vanish from the area.  I'm also fairly certain that her parents are the Thomas CARPENTER and Millicent BLAKEBROUGH who married in Kidderminster earlier in 1780.  I haven't yet tried to trace Thomas CARPENTER's family, but I have looked a bit at Millicent BLAKEBROUGH's family.

BLAKEBROUGH does not seem to be a local Worcestershire surname – it's predominately from Lancashire and the West Riding.  However there are seven BLAKEBROUGH baptisms in Kidderminster between 1771 and 1804, a few decades later, a BLAGBROUGH family appears in Kidderminster, immigrants from Bradford, Yorks.  The BLAKEBROUGH baptisms are two families: four children of Abraham and Millicent BLAKEBROUGH, baptised between 1771 and 1779, and three children of Abraham and Mary BLAKEBROUGH, baptised between 1799 and 1804, all at the non-conformist chapel.  Abraham and Mary married in Claines, Worcs in 1794, and it's tempting to suppose that this Abraham and the Millicent who married Thomas CARPENTER might be children of the older Abraham and Millicent, born before the family moved to Kidderminster.  The older Abraham and Millicent died in 1784 and 1801, respectively, and were buried in Kidderminster.

The three non-conformist baptisms tell us that the younger Abraham was from Leeds, Yorkshire, but if we assume he was about 20 when he married, I cannot find a suitable baptism anywhere in the West Riding.  However, it turns out Abraham was much older than that – the breakthrough came while trying to trace his son, Stephen Lane BLAKEBROUGH.  Stephen is on the 1851 census in Newington, in the London borough of Southwark, and his birthplace is given as Kidderminster, removing any doubt that it is the right person.  In the nearby Southwark parishes of St George the Martyr and St Saviour there are baptisms for four more children of Abraham and Mary, and a few years later, the parents' burials.  Mary was aged 55 when she died in 1830, but Abraham was aged 84 or 85 in 1838 (the workhouse register of deaths disagrees with the parish burial register by one year), putting his birth in 1752-4.  The surname is very rare in London at the time, so we can be fairly sure this is the right couple.

This now matches a baptism of an Abram BLAGUEBROUGH, son of Abram, in 1754 in Batley, now a suburb of Dewsbury, in the West Riding.  Two years later a sibling called Susannah was baptised in Batley, and she is almost certainly the Susannah who married Thomas PALMER in Kidderminster in 1778.  Finally, in 1751, there's a marriage in Dewsbury between Abraham BLAKEBOROUGH and Millicent MILNES.  This seems to confirm that the two Abrahams in Kidderminster are father and son.  There are more children of Abraham in Chapel Allerton, now a suburb of Leeds, in the 1860s, and this might explain why the Kidderminster register described the younger Abraham as of Leeds.  None of these are for a Millicent, but it now seems certain she must be closely related to Abraham and Millicent – very likely their daughter – and moved to Worcestershire with them.