Author Topic: Additional Notes on the Family of Winckley. 1892  (Read 5613 times)

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Notes on the Family of Winckley. 1892
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 January 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »

Also, if you happen to be interested in the history of Flambards, Harrow-on-the-Hill, Middlesex, you can start here:

http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HRW017

There are lots of references to it across the internet.

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 January 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi hsfam,

Thanks for that.  I've had a quick look - I wonder if the the text "...and thanks for the same ordered to be returned to the donors..." is quaint-speak for plain "tell them thanks for the gifts"?   ???

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 January 15 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks #2 - our posts crossed.  I wish there was as much information about Sudbury House - birthplace of this William's grandfather & my ancestor.  I know where it was in 1760's (S-E of the Hermitage & N-W of the now Clementine Churchill Hospital) and is not to be confused with Sudbury Hill House.  I have it on a map but that's all.

I'm still waiting on the Harrow Local History archives to see if they have copies of the "Additional Notes...".  I might also try contacting the Society of Antiquaries.

The info I got from the Preston Harris Library speaks of a land grant in the time of Richard I and John.  Might be some sort of relation, as 'my lot' came from there originally. However, it'd be a big speculative leap from then to 1700 which is the earliest confirmed that I have  :).

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 January 15 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Update & feedback.  I did a search using COPAC and got 2 hits: one for the Bodleian Library, Oxford and the other for the British Library.  The Bodleian copy apparently covers the 1863 publication with the 1883 additional information.  The British Library info said that the publication went up to 1893 - so, I paid them a visit today and hit the jackpot. Their copy includes the original 1863 plus the three "Additional Notes...", including the last, which I had already obtained from Preston Library.  As I thought, all the additional information relates to the Lancashire origins of the family that migrated to Lincolnshire and then Middlesex. :D

Thanks for your help.

Offline Ridley12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 March 15 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi - William was my husbands great, great, great grandfather and I'd be really grateful if you'd point me in the direction of any info you come across
Thanks
MCCALL/REAY/DOUGLAS - Northumberland
CRANE/DUFFIELD/POWIS - Notts, Sussex
WINCKLEY/FREER - Leics

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, happy to help.  What sort of information do you have already? I presume you are referring to William Winckely (aka Winkley) FSA - son of Charles & Sarah? Bit busy at the moment so may not be able to respond immediately.

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 April 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ridley12.  Your husband and I are, therefore, (distant) cousins - William's father was the brother of my ancestor.

I'm still not sure what would be helpful.  Can I assume you have a copy of the "Documents relating to the Winkley family" published by William Winckley FSA? He was made a Fellow of the Society on the basis of this genealogical research.  If you don't have a copy, download the pdf from the Bodleian - it's better quality than the Utah one. The Bodleian also, apparently, has some of the "Additional notes..." but I haven't checked.  The original document can be viewed at the British Library.  Also, their copy of the "Documents relating...." has a good fold out family tree linking Lancashire Winkleys to Lincolnshire.  Likewise, check on-line - William Winckley's obituary can be viewed there in the original newspaper (he was apparently presented to Queen Victoria when she visited Harrow!).

Don't know if this helps - as I say, I don't know what information you have already.

Cheers