Author Topic: did francis abandon his children  (Read 10743 times)

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: did francis abandon his children
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 January 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention Francis had another  called David Whitecross he died in 1944 that crushed the idea of him leaving all his children something David was also living in London . The other child was bella who was Ann's daughter and sister to Robert .

Wish I had a time machine !

G

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 January 15 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Where did David die? - at 98  :o that should have made the papers. Sorry, another couple of  questions what did James do for a living and did he stay put in London?
Jen

Summary of children cause I'm well confused ::)
Helen
Children showing on the census for the Francis born Kirrie and the Helen born Ireland
1* James Whitecross 1839, Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
2 *Willm Whitecross1843, Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland   
3 *David Whitecross1846, St Nicholas, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
4 *Hellen Whitecross1848, St Nicholas, Aberdeenshire, Scotland (still with mother in 1871)
5 *Margaret Whitecross1853, Dundee, Forfarshire (Angus), Scotland (still with mother in 1881)
Elizabeth MacDonald
6 *Robert Fyfe MacDonald born 1873 – if this is him below looks like his mother was living at the same address as 'A' Francis Whitecross of the cockfighting fame.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY1N-LQ6
Maggie ?(states on the 1900 census she is mother to 7 children)
Margaret Whitecross  born 1862, Scotland living in Patterson in 1905  think this is wife Maggie with her daughter May/Margaret Black age 17
7 *Alexander Black born Scotland 1883
8 *May Black  born Scotland 1887
Ann ?(with Francis and Robert on the 1880 census) think she is too old to be Robert's mother.
9* Mary Whitecross born 1855  Scotland living in Patterson in 1915 – another daughter? A James and Mary Hussey are at the same address.
Missing 10* Isabella/Bella born about 1862 Scotland (from ships's manifest)

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 January 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1890 naturalization record for Frances Whitecross in Passaic Co., New Jersey - http://records.passaiccountynj.org/press/indexPassaic.aspx  It gives an option to get the image, but it is coming up for me as "document not available".

There is an entry in the 1866 Paterson city directory for Francis Whitecross, laborer, home 73 Pine.  He seems to be missing from some directories in between, but shows back up in the 1880 city directory as a liquor merchant living at 86 Pine. 

Regarding Maggie/Margaret having 7 children, it also says she has 2 children living.  The 1910 census lists her as the mother of 2, both still living.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKBP-RY7  Since the number of years married on the 1900 census was 7, I wonder if the census taker just accidentally kept writing "7" in the number of children. 

This may be Margaret's burial - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ehs/ 

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 January 15 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Jen , you are correct of course david born 1846 didn't die in 1944 ! Not sure what James did for job wise

Wil read the rest of the posts

G

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 January 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm 1893 busy year across the Atlantic....all travelling on the 'State of Nebraska'. Everyone from Dundee.
Maggie Whitecross 40 year and 3 months - married
Maggie Whitecross 30 years and 3 months - spinster
Alexander Whitecross 9 years
James Whitecross 8 years
All going to Patterson NJ....
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Just adding link to new post to keep all the info together www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=737839.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
G, you mentioned that it was your direct line in London, g grandfather James. Who were his parents?

The Isabella Whitecross mentioned in the other thread, living with aunt Helen Whitecross (t.b.c. but a likely marriage in Dundee in the 1860s that you could check to confirm her parents' names) and uncle William Carnagie. She showed with the Carnegies in 1881 in Dundee. Living by herself in the Dundee area in 1891. She was so far consistent, showing as born c. 1863 in London or just England.

At a guess with I am seeing, I think she was the daughter of a James Whitecross and Elizabeth (maiden name?) who were living in the Poplar/ Bromley area.

I think this was her birth entry https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:261R-HDZ

1871 here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VRJC-LCH . Mother Elizabeth showing as wife and daughter to a Harriet Johnson on the full entry. Parish Registers for christenings to a James Whitecross and wife Elizabeth also show:

Margaret Jane Whitecross    9 Jun 1867
William James Whitecross    27 Nov 1870
David Alexander Whitecross 18 Sep 1872

At a guess, you have from what we saw Isabella up in Scotland from 1881. Working but without her children in 1891 and married in 1894 followed by census entry with Arthur and her children William and Helen in the household (showing as step children to Arthur).

From what Jen mentioned, likely her two children William and Helen were with the Carnegies in London in 1891, passed off as their own children and born in Ayr (not Dundee). There is a possible entry for Helen Carnegie, living alone back in the Dundee area by 1901.

Father James showing as a mariner by occupation. The christening in 1864 for Isabella gives her name on the register as Isabella Helen Whitecross. Can't see a Scottish death entry for her so far with the details we have  :-\

The 1894 marriage of Isabella Whitecross and Arthur McGuire will help you confirm her parents' names including full name of her mother. This will help you link back and verify these details for London.

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 16:19 GMT (UK) »
James in 1881 with a second wife, Sarah? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK6T-BQH4

Place of birth with the ref to Aberdeen fits well with what has been posted for the James, son of Francis and first wife Helen (I think Jen you did a summary for Francis' children earlier).

More children's christenings showing for a James Whitecross and wife Sarah in the parish registers, such as:

Annie Whitecross 4 Mar 1880  - we have Annie in 1881
Margaret Whitecross 3 Aug 1882 - maybe first Margaret died as she doesn't show in 1881?
John Francis Whitecross 26 Mar 1891

There may be other entries.

Monica

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Monica that's very impressive ! What a complicated family I don't suppose I'll ever know exactly why the two children were living in London with Helen and William Carnegie then when they were in their teens the two of them moved back with their mother Isabella and step father Arthur Maguire . William born 1882 has William Carnegie whitecriss I'm guessing Isabella wanted the fathers name to be included but by the time he emergrated to Patterson with Helen and William and sister Helen I'm guessing nellies real name was Helen but I can't find an entry for her anywhere I wonder if William Carnegie fathered both of her children . It looks as if William born 1882 stayed in Patterson where is grandfather lived . I still can't get my head around the whole name changing . Thank you for all your input so James Whitecross and Isabella were siblings . Going back to Helen and William Carnegie I can't find anymore children being born to them it does look
As if Isabella had the children for them but were never know !

Cheers and thanks
G