Author Topic: did francis abandon his children  (Read 10742 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: did francis abandon his children
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you actually viewed the birth cert for William Whitecross' birth c. 1882? If it had been registered with both surnames of Carnegie and Whitecross, William Carnegie would have had to have gone to the Registrar's office to confirm he accepted paternity.

Thinking back from what you said in one of the posts, it may be that it was William b.1882's marriage cert where the various names jumped in! McGuire/Carnegie/Whitecross etc.

You g grandfather was James born 1871 in the Bromley area? So, as you say, he was Isabella b. 1863's brother.

What a jumble of a family tree you have had to sort out!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

The birth entry has William born 1882 down as William Carnegie Whitecross but the father has been left off he was illegimate .

The marraige entry for William has his mother Isabella and fathers name William Carnegie I suppose as time went on he decided to be known as his father . The mothers maiden names were Maguire her married name , Carnegie but I don't think they were married , and her maiden name Whitecross
 Sorry I meant to say Isabella was James Whitecross daughter

Thanks again
:)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry, we understand what you mean  ;) A jumble of names.

William Carnegie Whitecross, illegitimate. I am going to guess was named after the kind Uncle William with wife Helen Whitecross who took in Isabella in back in Scotland. Nellie/Helen born later maybe also named after Isabella's aunt Helen. Could well have been name 'in memory and gratitude of' rather than anything else. Isabella would have been just 19 or so when son William was born, illegitimate. Sadly though...we don't really know much more.

In the bigger picture, sounds like you understand the grey lines of this all and have made great headway along the way. For your Xmas past, I would wish you an hour with Francis so that he could explain his life to you  8)

Monica

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I've been watching this thread out of interest.  I hope Gratuation gets to unravel all of this.

Monica - what a lovely thought.  I hope that you could also get that 1 hour with someone from your past, as you are always so helpful to others.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kit  :-* I have so many choices of who I would choose for my hour, you must do too! Stuck in Ireland, stuck in the Highlands and stuck in Spain...sigh! That would make a good topic on the 'Lighter Side' here on RC maybe!

There is stuck (like me) and there are also those special people, who give us so much trouble to figure out, like Francis here on this thread.... ;)

Monica

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Now that would be good Monica ! I have a list of questions as long as my arm !!

Thank you for taking an interest in very grateful for all
Your help and the wish !

Happy new year  :D

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Gratuation you would expect to find Helen Whitecross and William Carnegie together on the 1871 census as they got married in 1866. However, Helen's at home with her mum while I think William is in the Dundee nick! What an interesting family  :)
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir