Author Topic: Donohue Irish Marriage into 60th Regiment (India)  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Hitchamite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Donohue Irish Marriage into 60th Regiment (India)
« on: Monday 12 January 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone! This problem has two possible angles of attack, so I'm also posting in the Military section.

You guys were so fantastic at sorting out my previous problem (which had me perplexed for years) that I hoped you could maybe assist me with a connected issue relating to the British forces in India & Ireland in the 1840's / 50's?

This centres around my maternal gt gt Grandfather, Thomas Noel 1826 (exact DoB currently unknown, but he was baptised at Remenham in Berkshire on 11th June 1826). He served with the 60th & AASSC&T Regiments as sergeant (Number 2381). He married whilst in India and the details are below:

marriage: 18 Apr 1853 Jullundur, Bengal, India
parents: Thomas Noel
spouse: Elizabeth Leach???
groom's name: Thomas Noel
groom's birth date: 1827
groom's age: 26
bride's name: Elizabeth Leach
bride's birth date: 1826
bride's age: 27
marriage date: 18 Apr 1853
marriage place: Jullundur, Bengal, India
groom's father's name: Thomas Noel
bride's father's name: James Donohue
indexing project (batch) number: M75005-9
system origin: India-EASy
source film number: 498991

Now, my previous research has revealed that Elizabeth was a teacher (presumably employed to educate the soldiers’ children) and was probably born in Ireland according to the 1861 census (Hougham, Dover, Kent). It has also been suggested that John Leach - Pay Master Sergeant with the 60th (who died at Jullundur on 22 June 1852 aged 32) was her late husband. There’s allegedly an 1845 marriage in Cork between John Leach and Elizabeth Donohue, and the 1st Battalion of 60th was in Fermoy and Cork City in mid-1845 before being sent to Bombay. However, I am unable to confirm this result and therefore this being the correct couple. Can anyone find the relevant entry within John’s military records, please? Also, a confirmation of Elizabeth (aka Eliza’s) place of birth and any other data that supports the findings would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking you for your interest and input in advance!

Best regards, Andrew.
Gourlay, Noel

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donohue Irish Marriage into 60th Regiment (India)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 January 15 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Since you posted in two categories, I can't tell whether or not you got your answers. Do you still need help?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Hitchamite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 January 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and thanks for taking the trouble to reply to me!

In spite of some very interesting and useful input I'm actually no further forward. It's curious that every previous response I've had was from the military posting - yours is the only one from the Irish angle, in which I had the most hope.

I now have to accept that Elizabeth does not appear within army records, as I'd hoped (given that she was a teacher with the regiment), but unless I can pin down that alleged marriage in Ireland my line goes stone cold! I've tried several search engines all of which have drawn blanks - even using wildcards and unrestricted districts. Very frustrating.

Again, the 1861 census (Dover) gives her place of birth as Ireland. Based on the data within her 1853 wedding record it's highly likely that John Leach - Pay Master Sergeant with the 60th (who died at Jullundur on 22 June 1852, aged 32) - was her late 1st husband. There’s allegedly a marriage in Cork between John Leach and Elizabeth Donohue in 1845 and it's that result that I'm failing to replicate. To partially corroborate, the 1st Battalion of the 60th was apparently in Fermoy and Cork City in mid-1845 before being sent to Bombay (various newspapers, "Stations of the British Army").

Any input gratefully received!

Kind regards, Andrew.
Gourlay, Noel

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Who is 'alledging' there's an 1845 Cork marriage for John Leech & Elizabeth Donohue?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Hitchamite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 January 15 17:44 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ, (RootsChat Marquessate), kindly posted the following on 28th February 2014:
( http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=679132.new#new )

"Per my PM my guess is that Elizabeth's previous husband was John Leach of the 60th (Pay Master Sergeant) who died at Jullundur in 1852.

There is an 1845 marriage in County Cork between John Leach and Elizabeth Donohue. This is viewable on rootsireland.ie (PPV)

1st Battalion of 60th was in Fermoy and Cork City  in mid-1845 before being sent to Bombay.  (various newspapers, "Stations of the British Army")"

As I said, I've been unable to duplicate his search result, but am keen to do so (in case any other information is forthcoming).

Thanks for your input.

PS  I should probably qualify that I don't doubt ShaunJ's findings for one minute - the word 'alleged' merely refers to my lack of confirmation! Sincere apologies to him if this has been misinterpreted!
Gourlay, Noel