Author Topic: Carnegie Orphanage  (Read 7637 times)

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carnegie Orphanage
« on: Monday 12 January 15 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
is anyone able to tell me if records exist of the children that were in the Carnegie Orphanage around 1900. I've seen the 1901 Census & it lists McDonald children that may be the one's I'm looking for. I'm heading to Glasgow in December & am trying to get all my research queries together, I don't want to waste my time looking if there is nothing to find.
Thanks much, Dee (Aust)  ???
MacDonald - Fort William, Port Glasgow & Glasgow (Scotland): Casterton & Strathdownie (Australia).
Small - Port Glasgow, Scotland.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carnegie Orphanage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise if you are going to be based in Glasgow I would suggest the Mitchel Library they have lots of information .....They also have the poor relief records and they have a search room for Scotlands People which will cost you £ 15.00 for a whole day searching ....saving you a trip to Edinburgh  :) :)

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
Thank you, I'm a bit lost not having done any research in another country.  Does the £15 let me look at the certificates or must they be purchased? I've wasted lots of money on Scotlandspeople & was hoping it would be better over there.  I'm only in Glasgow for 10 days and I want to make the most of it, then to Fort William for Xmas with family.
Thanks heaps, Dee  ;)
MacDonald - Fort William, Port Glasgow & Glasgow (Scotland): Casterton & Strathdownie (Australia).

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise,
The  15 pounds rosie refers to will give you unlimited access to Scotlands People for a full day 9.30 till 4 (I think) on one of the computers in the search room at the Mitchell Library. My advice would be to book your place in advance to avoid arriving and finding the positions all taken   :)
If the system operates the same as the Burns Monument Centre in Kilmarnock - another location with  computer access to Scotlands People you can purchase photo-copies of any certificates or census pages for 50p a copy, or you can take a flashdrive/memory stick and save them to that for no extra charge. Take a packed lunch (there will be an area away from the computers to take a break) and have the whole day there to get your money's worth.

As for the records for Carnegie Park Orphanage , I've no idea I'm afraid if records exist but if they do you won't find them on Scotlands People. The records could however be at the Mitchell which has other archives. Here is their website - http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/Pages/home.aspx.   
I would suggest you email the Mitchell and ask if they have records relating to the orphanage. Even if they don't they might know where they are.

Good luck with your research when you get here.

Looby :)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 21:49 GMT (UK) »
The system does work the same as the Burns Monument Centre and is really worth the money .The Mitchell Library a great source of information ....But as Looby said remember and book your seat good luck with your search and your visit to Glasgow :) :)

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Looby & Rosie,
Your help is very much appreciated, I hope I can do you justice.  As for USB's I always carry several, thanks for that tip.
Dee  ;D

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Unless there has been a change in the last few months, the SP centre at the Mitchell Library does not have the facility to save any documents to a USB/Flashdrive.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Unless there has been a change in the last few months, the SP centre at the Mitchell Library does not have the facility to save any documents to a USB/Flashdrive.

Was not very sure about that one I just take a note book for writing down information also download copies at 50p  :) :)

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie, Looby & Anne,
Thanks again for your wonderful help, now all I have to do is wait to get there lol.
Dee  ;D