Author Topic: James and Michael O'Meara from Toomyvara, Co Tipperary, Ireland  (Read 11635 times)

Offline goldsy19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James and Michael O'Meara from Toomyvara, Co Tipperary, Ireland
« on: Tuesday 13 January 15 02:47 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather James O'Meara (as per his death certificate in Australia 1939) was born in Toomyvara, Co Tipperary, circa 1859.  He migrated to Sydney Aust. circa 1878 and married Mary Agnes Dawson from Co. Limerick in 1885, confirmed by his marriage certificate.

His parents were Matthew O'Meara, and Mary Delaney.  Her parents were Patrick Dawson and Margaret Sullivan.

He had several children;  two were registered at birth with surname O'Mara, the remainder as O'Meara.

His brother Michael also migrated to Australia, around 1889, also fathered many children with his wife Johanna Fitzgerald (born in Burwood, NSW).  Her parents were Edward Fitzgerald and Mary O'Connor.

They were staunch Catholics and supporters of the Church in Kogarah, a suburb of Sydney.

They were very successful in their lives in Australia, as contractors, farmers, dairy owners, property owners, and real estate developers.

James died in 1939, and Michael in 1949.

I cannot find any record of arrival for either of these men, or a birth record for James in Ireland, but they were well-known and respected here in NSW especially Kogarah, and Coraki (Far North NSW).

On the Shipping List I have searched every ship from 1877-81 for James, and 1887-91 for Michael, every family record, every single man record, for O'Meara, O'Mara, Omeara, Omara, Mara, Meara.
N.B. There is a listing for James O'Meara on the Erato with a wife and child but I have discounted this as he married a couple of years later to Mary Agnes, and being a devout Catholic would not have divorced.

I do not have any living relatives of past generations to help me with my search, and hope that you might find some information for me.

Any help would be most welcome
Cheers
Kerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James and Michael O'Meara from Toomyvara, Co Tipperary, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I wonder if perhaps the 1885 marriage cert gives you his status as a bachelor to further help you eliminate the Erato sighting.     That mc should also give you his then age, place of birth, his parents details, his occupation, his then usual address (and same for his bride) .     

Just in case,  the NSW SRO's passenger list for the Erato, has arrival as 13 May 1878, and the family as
James OMEARA, 23, a Labourer, native of Tipperary, a Roman Catholic, and he could read and write.
Hannah OMEARA 27, of Limerick, a Roman Catholic, and she could read and write.
Mary OMEARA, an infant, of Tipperary, a Roman Catholic, and she could not yet read and write.

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.asp?series=NRS5316&item=4_4802&ship=Erato

ADD  SMH 5 August 1939
O'MEARA.—August 4, 1939, at his residence,  856 Rocky Point Road, Kogarah, James O'Meara, 
beloved father of Mary (Mrs. P. A. Hoare, Kogarah), Matthew J.  (Brighton), Margaret (Mrs. M. Slattery (Enfield), Kathleen (Mrs. T. F. Milgate, Coraki), and Patrick (Kogarah), aged 83 years.  Requiescat in pace.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17593378

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi goldsy19,

N.B. There is a listing for James O'Meara on the Erato with a wife and child

Kerry

This chap named his parents as Pat. and Mary.

Civil reg. in Ireland did not start until 1864 so you won't find a birth record for James.  Have you tried the indexes of church register baptisms on online sites like ROOTSIRELAND - you can search the whole county - although he might have lived in Toomevara perhaps he wasn't baptised there.  I think I would try to find his parents' marriage first.  Apparently the Catholic Registers were kept locally so survived the 1922 fire.

http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=parishregisters

If the O'MEARAs paid their own fare to Australia they may not be recorded by name, but just as one of x number of steerage passengers - they might have come on a cargo ship or worked their passage, and not all passenger lists have survived.  They may have come via America or NZ. To be honest, if they didn't arrive under an immigration assistance scheme or with a family group it can be hard to identify individuals.  Have you tried looking at Trove as sometimes you will find immigrants listed there.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper?q

Debra  :)

Offline goldsy19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Debra and JM for responding to my query.
On his marriage and death certs. his parents are definitely listed as Mathew (farmer) and Mary O'Meara (nee Delaney) and his birthplace as Toomyvara.  I think this eliminates Hanna as his wife.

He also states he is a bachelor and is 26 yo, a labourer living in Bay Street Glebe, Sydney.
Mary is listed as a spinster, aged 24, housekeeper of the same address.

Thank you for the Trove articles (I do have them) and dozens of others.  As I said he was well-known and respected in spite of being successful and, by the time of his death, quite wealthy.  I have a copy of his well and he had many properties, as well as considerable funds in the bank.

Thank you for your help - at least I know now that birth records were not kept at the time of his birth.
If you find anything else I would be very grateful.
Cheers
Kerry

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 06:26 GMT (UK) »
It appears that there are gaps in the known Toomevara church registers.  Unfortunately it might be at the same time as both the parents' marriage and James' baptism.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eit/

The children of Matthew and Mary registered after 1864 are listed on FamilySearch:

https://familysearch.org/search

Debra  :)

Offline goldsy19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debra, yes I have those.
James is my direct ancestor, Great-grandfather, so his record is the one I really need, though I do have some side branches on the tree
Cheers
Kerry

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 May 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
Your James from Toomyvara, may be a cousin to my Great Grandfather, Michael O'Meara. I know a few of his cousins did go to Australia and the USA. They would have been the same age.
The town land was called Rossgourdagh, Toomyvarra.
Father Hurley was the Parish Priest at that time.
I see the Baptism lists for Mathew 1863, but Michael, Thomas and Anne, they were born at the time the Civil records were introduced by Queen Victoria after 1864.
St Joseph's, this is the Church, celebrated 200 years in 2009. I had a look to see if I had the Church records, but only the 1849 evictions, (this was a disgrace) so sorry about that, I wish I had them for you. In July this year, the Church records will be on line so you will be able to see them.
I spend a few days every year over in Dublin looking at the reels and reels of records, so now this will save me a trip.
Anyway, I will look to see if and how we are related and let you know.
Maggsie

Offline goldsy19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 May 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maggsie for responding to my plea.
Last week I sent an email to the Parish Priest at St Joseph's but have had no reply. 
I will write a letter in a couple of weeks time to see if they are able to help, if I get no response to it.
Did your Michael O'Meara come to Australia also?
I have James' brother Michael here marrying in 1895 (I think, just can't find his marriage certificate at the moment).  He and Johanna had 11 children.
I have a US census record of 'a' Michael O'Meara in New York very briefly it seems, in the 1900 census but don't think it is my Michael, as he is listed as a printer, and all other records have him as a labourer prior to becoming a wealthy man here in Australia.
You said that you spend a few days in Dublin every year so I am guessing you don't live in Australia.  I went there in 1994 but was not interested in family history at the time, but it is amazing how close to the significant towns I actually was.  I remember saying to friends that being in Tipperary, Limerick, Clare and Cork was somehow familiar, and just recently discovered that is where most of my ancestors were born.
Yes I can't wait till those records go on line.  If I make any discoveries I'll pass them on, and hope you will too.
Cheers and many thanks for contacting me
Kerry

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 May 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
Last week I sent an email to the Parish Priest at St Joseph's but have had no reply. 
----------------------------------------
It may take a few weeks, so don't worry, they are always searching records for people.

Did your Michael O'Meara come to Australia also?
----------------------------------------
No,  he stayed in Ireland, it was just by chance I was looking for my Kennedy side for info to send to Australia (gold coast) when I went into a graveyard, I saw a lonely headstone, it was Michael, Bridget and Denis, I was so taken back. My Great Grandfather, his wife  and their son. I did get their dates of death and went and requested their certs. I knew they had a son called Denis and he died aged 3.

You said that you spend a few days in Dublin every year so I am guessing you don't live in Australia.  ---------- No I was born in Nenagh just up the road from Toomevarra lived in Congor Borrisokane for 6 months and then came to England, we now live in Wales.
I went there in 1994------------------- we were in Australia in 1995.
Yes it's like being at home in Ireland.

Yes I can't wait till those records go on line.  If I make any discoveries I'll pass them on, and hope you will too.
------------------------- yes I will.

Cheers
Maggsie