Author Topic: Ellen Nixon  (Read 6039 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Nixon
« on: Wednesday 14 January 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for any information on this person - Ellen Nixon, born in Sunderland during the March quarter of 1870.

She can be found with her mother, Ellen, in 1871 living in Stranton, Hartlepool.
Her mother, Ellen Nixon, had been born around 1852 in Sunderland, gave her marital status as 'married' and a 'mariner's wife.'

I can then find no trace of the pair again.

Ellen (1870), married Stephen Hern in Sunderland in 1888 - but of her mother and father there is no sign.

Can anybody find a marriage or Ellen (snr) after 1871?

Thank you

Sue

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Nixon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 15 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if her mother really was married?  She was only 19 in 1871 so can't have been married long.

Have you got the marriage certificate for daughter Ellen?  That would give more information re father/witnesses etc
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Not seeing much for them in the 1881 census as Milliepede said you should maybe get her marriage certificate to see what information is on it

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for all your efforts - I will buy Ellen's marriage certificate and see if that helps!

Sue

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 January 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Or you could get her birth certificate, to see what information is offered there.

But she could lie about her Father's name on the marriage certificate (depending on what she has been told) and her Mother could lie on the birth certificate.

Have you looked for any possible marriages of Ellen to Nixon in the area and timeframe?

Or they could be completely 'respectable'.

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 February 15 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

because I was slightly unsure of Ellen's birth date (I think her birth was registered in Sunderland during the March quarter of 1870), I bought a copy of her marriage certificate to Stephen Hern to see who her father was named as.
He was Joseph Nixon (deceased by 1888) and a ship's riveter by trade.

I then looked and found a marriage between a Joseph Nixon and an Eleanor Stewart in Sunderland during the December quarter of 1869 - which I am presuming is correct.

Eleanor (Ellen) seems to have been born around 1852, but still can't find any trace of her, Joseph, or Ellen in 1881 - can anybody help!

Thanks

Sue

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 February 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
May also be worth looking to see if mother Ellen married after you found them in 1871. They could be in the household of a new husband in 1871 with your Ellen 1870 recorded with his surname.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 February 15 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I definitely think I have found something that may indicate that! Ellen gave her address as 8 Hope Street on her marriage certificate.
She and Stephen were still living in Hope Street in 1891 and, within the same dwelling there was a:
James Healey born in Ireland c1831
With him was his wife, Eleanor, born c1851 in Sunderland, and children, Sarah, aged 16 years, Elizabeth 13 years, Margaret, 11 years, Mary, 7 years, Teresa, 4 years, and Stephen, aged around 6 months, all born in Sunderland.
I am wondering whether Eleanor is Ellen's mother, James was a coachman and can be found in 1881 living in 18 Back Hopper Street, Sunderland.
He is widowed, a coachman, and has 4 children with him; Samuel, aged 24 years, Mary, 16 years, Catherine, 12 years and Margaret 9 years - all the children had been born in Newcastle.
Going back a further 10 years, I have found him in Newcastle, with his wife, Margaret and the above children (Margaret's age is given as 1 month). He is employed as a coachman, so it would appear this is the right man.
Going forward to 1901, the family can be found under the misspelling of 'Naley' still residing in Hope Street. James was still a coach builder and an additional child, James, who is 8 years of age, as been born to him and Eleanor (Elinor).
I can't find either James or Eleanor in 1911 - any help would be appreciated!
Can anybody find a marriage between James and Eleanor? Or information about any of their children?

Thanks!

Sue

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 February 15 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Found them in 1911 - living in 6 Hope Street.

James and Ellen indicate that they have been married for 27 years. Around 1884?

Sue