Author Topic: Newlyn markfield lane  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newlyn markfield lane
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
please can one find out any thing on my mums family home before her father lived here the name of the bungalow was Newlyn ,we knocked it down and rebuilt it after 1970s my grandfather was Ernest cooper born Ashby ROAD Markfield he passed away in 1977 his father was Markfield blacksmith which we know about .i would like know what was here before all of that .as I can't find any thing .
Many thanks
Steve
I know that we're field head rest is there was a small village that was moved up from Bradgate park were mums relation lived .elizabeth geary,before she moved up to Stanton under bardon .there is a field at the back of us ,I have been told that it wasn't always field but a drive way from Stewarts Hey that belonged to sir Thomas Grey he would have had small farms in there they would do small gardens to make the drive nice there's a gate at the top that comes out onto Leicester Road and the horse and carts would come out that way ,there is a wood called lawnwood ,there are pools with trees round it .i would have thought they would cut the trees back to make way for the drive.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newlyn markfield lane
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 January 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
When you say that you cannot find a thing - where have you looked?

Have you found any old maps of the area.

Sorry for my confusion, but are you trying to find out about the history of the bungalow, or of what was there before the bungalow?

What are the names and ages of the surrounding properties?

Thank-you

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 January 15 00:42 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)
Hi
What I  was after was what was before my grand Father's Day he must have come here before 1960s he was born 1907 .
Ashby  road markfield .his dad was born 1875 markfield Joseph cooper blacksmith .i have seen maps but nothing before .a friend  told me that our lane ,was built late ,but found out about the village that was on field head ,and that the field would have been built on  by small farms and that they built smAll gardens to make it look good for the the grey family I think they were around the 1500c- -1600c.i have put the name on google of the bungalow but nothing comes up and also of my grandfather Ernest cooper living here .he was a master green grocer inl wan lip syston also a quarryman at cliffehill quarry and a miner at ellistown  pit leicestershire .but if  some  one can find
any thing on my mums house I would love to hear
Thanks
Danone

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 January 15 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Some useful tips here:

http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/markfield/househistory.html

I think a visit to LRO is needed!
Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 September 15 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi chempat
Yes I'm looking to find out what was here before my grandads bungalow like I have said there is a website called brad gate trust that can be used like Google Earth I have found my lane and house with our caravan in the lower part of the field that was given to us a long side the fence is buildings under the grass you click on the satalite button which will bring the houses up and you can see the field at the back if you see a house with a open air swimming pool I'm next door the building that I saw is in the corner which does stand out ,there is one lower down and three up the field .the one a long my fence as smaller buildings .i have asked Leicester uni to take a look but one one is back yet in the Arcyology department ,I'm really wanting to find out about the buildings as mums family did live in this lane but we don't know which house it would have been ,I was wondering if one of these would be were she lived her name was Alice frost ,her father was William frost steward at stewards Hey brad gate hill markfield she married John Geary in 1799 in Thornton the parents of Elizabeth Geary born 1810 Stanton under bardon Leicestershire she married Charles cooper mums great uncle .this is why I want to find out we're she lived it says Markfield lane Newtown linford Leicester but were abouts is unknown I have the frost family history and dec list and births and deaths but no address so what was here then is a mystery were they small farms like I said or like wooden buildings ,we just don't know.
Thanks
Danone

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 15 01:46 BST (UK) »
I think you might find that the answer to what was there before the bungalow was "nothing".

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=52.6863&lon=-1.2591&layers=171&right=BingHyb

If you can find the location of the property on the current map, and compare with the old map, that should help you.

You can hold and drag the maps, and zoom in and out using your mouse wheel. If you place your cursor on one map you will see the corresponding spot on the other. Very useful for comparing old and new places/streets etc.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 15 01:51 BST (UK) »
A more recent comparision:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=15&lat=52.6894&lon=-1.2539&layers=11&right=BingHyb

.... still not many houses there.

You can change maps (to newer or older ones) by using "select a map series" from the bar at the top left above the map. Some show more detail than others.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 15 01:56 BST (UK) »
Depending on dates, you might find address in post office directories or phone books.  :-\