Author Topic: 'Sewn in' for winter ??  (Read 49587 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Sewn in' for winter ??
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
A lot of googling has produced reference to a post on a totally different forum from 3 years ago claiming that this practice still existed in the 70s, unfortunately the link to the post is broken.

A seemingly reputable history site suggests that the source of most stories originates with inner city evacuees arriving at horrified middle class homes dressed in the only clothes they possesed,
totally inappropriate for winter,and devoid of underwear of any sort except for a length of red flannel wrapped around the chest and sewn to prevent it coming undone.

Mike

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:10 BST (UK) »

A seemingly reputable history site suggests that the source of most stories originates with inner city evacuees arriving at horrified middle class homes dressed in the only clothes they possesed,
totally inappropriate for winter,and devoid of underwear of any sort except for a length of red flannel wrapped around the chest and sewn to prevent it coming undone.

Mike

That fits very well with the story my grandmother told me
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
Snap iluleah -I can remember my grandmother talking about war time evacuees being sewn in for the winter. This was in co Durham - she was the wife of a headmaster.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
I think someone is having fun at our expense.

Like GS, I don't believe a word of this.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
I think someone is having fun at our expense.

Like GS, I don't believe a word of this.

;D!
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
I also find that account totally unbelievable. I recall a very old lady telling my mother, when i was a very young child, about being "sewn in", and I'd asked her what that meant - being a child I asked "what about the toilet?", and as far as I can recall:
"Sewing in" was a length of (red?) flannel wrapped round the torso, and stitched into a tube, with a vest stitched onto it. Knickers were NOT fastened to it - so going to the toilet was possible in a normal way. It was done when the first frosts/snows arrived (I'm talking an upland, N of England Farm here) and dispensed with when the weather eased, so really an emergency bodywarmer for a few weeks.
She answered my questions freely, the vest was kept on ( and so were the knickers) under nightie for bed.
So I reaslly can't believe that anyone living in a city (warmer) would need more than than normal clothing. I agree, it's a hoax.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
"a length of (red?) flannel wrapped round the torso, and stitched into a tube"

Why didn't they wear union suits in the winter?  Or long johns? 
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
What a bizarre custom.  No wonder child mortality was high.  I have never heard of it in North America where the winters are longer and colder, at least in the north central region.

Maybe not completely unknown in North America.
https://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/bittersweet/fa80b.htm   (Section 14)

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
I've just caught up with this, and I don't believe a word of it.

Rather than a 'joke' or wind-up at our expense, this sounds more like a manipulative fantasy which the poster is using to provoke reactions of horror and therefore sympathy.  Note that when challenged, the poster concocts even more unlikely details to keep the fantasy alive.

There's little point in arguing with fantasists.  We should probably step away now and go about our own business.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch