Author Topic: Dorothy Sleepe - baptism 1640s-60s Newlyn East, St Columb Minor or St Neots ??  (Read 2676 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I've been unable to find Dorothy's baptism (using Ancestry and Cornwall OPC).  She is explicitly listed in her mother's will of 1686 at St Columb Minor "I give unto my daughter Dorothy Steephens the sume of one Shillon", but that's it.

Father is William Sleepe and mother Thomasine.  Only possible marriage for her parents I have found is in 1647 at St Neot.  Could be that Dorothy was perhaps first child and baptised there which would confirm as same couple but no luck.

Three siblings, also in the will, baptised at Newlyn East William 1656, Frances 1660 and George (as Gefford) 1662There are no previous/later Sleepe baptisms at Newlyn East at all.

Any info from other sources would be much appreciated.

Pete

PS am just working my way through nine Sleepe, Arthur and Warmington (Wormonton) wills from 1609-1748 from St Columb Minor... first will opened and I have a conundrum  ::)
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy Sleepe - baptism 1640s-60s Newlyn East, St Columb Minor or St Neots ??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:33 BST (UK) »
I am assuming you have her marriage in 25th May 1672 in St Columb Major to Thomas Stephens
There is a Dorothy baptised in St Enoder ,father William  in 1658, St Enoder is very close to St Columb Major. I have the surname as a wildcard S**** they probably cannot read it,but there are a number of  Sleapes  in the parish :)
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy Sleepe - baptism 1640s-60s Newlyn East, St Columb Minor or St Neots ??
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 15 23:32 BST (UK) »
No I didn't have her marriage NooshieW.  I see it now having looked in the online register images on Familysearch its here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11061-384-29?cc=1769414&wc=3CBW-N3D:138123201,141107401,1582887106

and its also in transcript form here:

https://archive.org/stream/registersofparis00stco#page/158/mode/2up

The wedding is not in period covered by Cornwall OPC and also not in Familysearch indexes it seems  :(  ...so many thanks for that find  8)

I'd worked out her husband based on her married name in her mother's will and also this lease, found on Cornwall Archives online index, taken out by her husband in 1673 which explicitly notes her father too (this is just a couple of weeks before their marriage it seems):

GP   Grylls and Paige, solicitors, Redruth   
Ref No   GP/445
Title   
Counterpart of lease, Ventongimps and Tresoan, Perranzabuloe
Date   
7 May 1672
Format   
Manuscript
Extent   
1 piece
Description   
Parties: 1) John Cleather of Ventongimps, gentleman 2) Thomas Stevens of St Agnes, tinner. Counterpart of lease for 99 years or three lives: 2), Dorothy, daughter of William Sleepe, deceased, and John Crocker, son of Michael Crocker, gentleman. One third of property in Tresosan, lately held by Thomas Batten, with rights to pasture and turf on the commons of Tresosan Commons and Ventongimps Downs. Consideration: £300. Rent: 40 shillings, one capon or 12 pence and one harvest journey or 6 pence per annum. Heriot: 30 shillings. Suit of court: manor of Ventongempts. Endorsed: Survey of Tresosan by John Carverth dated 1670.

"There is a Dorothy baptised in St Enoder ,father William  in 1658"

What source has the St Enoder baptisms ? Is it Cornwall FHS database as again I can't find it via Cornwall OPC, Ancestry or Familysearch (and no images this time for that period either)   ::)

UPDATE:
  I've looked at the St Enoder pages here http://www.kernowyon.co.uk/enoder/ and I can't see a baptism in 1658 for a Dorothy dau. of William Sleap :-\ 
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, glad I could be of some help, the St Enoder baptism is a wildcard entry on FindMyPast it is with other Sleaps but the original would have to be looked at for verification. These very old transcripts are often undecipherable. I remember being told my great grandma was called Stumbles when she re-married but it was in fact a Hunter, it was very hard to distinguish.It may be worth a try though, couldn't find anything else close to it.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help NooshieW, much appreciated  :)  I don't have a live FindMyPast sub at the moment but I know a man who does  ;) so I can cross-check.  As you said will probably need to see original page image to draw any conclusions (I was granted access to the actual early 1600s register book for Andover, Hants to check a name for similar period as their fiche was unreadable... apparently the transcriber used an infra red lamp or something as all I could see was a later dirty splodge mark over the whole surname  ::)  )

I've transcribed the Sleap wills now.   Got some great detail out of them  8)

Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire