Author Topic: Ayres in Southleigh and Cogges  (Read 4673 times)

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres in Southleigh and Cogges
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 January 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »
No there isnt - I could nt see a suitable marriage of a Mary ??? to a ?? Martin or Martyn in the Marr Index either.

There are 2 possible burials of a Martin in Eynsham but one is aged 68 = unlikely and the other has no age but cant find a marriage to a Mary ?? for a James Martin

I have to go out now so shall back on this tomorrow

Sorry I cant help a bit more
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 January 15 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Thanks for looking.  I still suspect she could have been a widow but without a status on the marriage, its difficult to know. She could of course have been married anywhere in the area. ::)  Any death would need to be before the 13 Nov 1806 which is when Mary married James Ayres.  Unfortunately that's just the time when they tend to usually not include ages.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 January 15 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Nicola

Have you got a circa birth date for Mary Martin - I am having another look at what is in the records I have
Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 January 15 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nigel, unfortunately all I have is c1774 from the 1851 Census.  Her death was registered Dec qtr 1854 in Whitney RD, I expect in Eynsham as that's where husband James died in 1859 and left a Probate.  Whether her burial would have a more accurate age I don't know as don't have the details.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 January 15 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Nicola
I cannot see James nor Mary buried in Eynsham???

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 January 15 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.  James' probate entry says he died there, perhaps he was buried elsewhere.  I suppose he could have been taken back to Southleigh but as they'd lived there since 1806, I would have expected a burial in that town. 

I shall have to try and work on my Aunt again to spend some money on the transcripts, she was not inclined last time I tried. :-\  Unfortunately she tends to have the mentality, as some others do, that everything should appear on ancestry. :-X  Its unfortunate that I don't have the transcripts for the area but I've no need to have them.

Otherwise, will have to wait for the Oxfordshire FHS to eventually get their records online with the digitised copies of the registers they have paid to have done.  I had hoped that something may have happened by now, but it hasn't.

Thanks Nigel very much for your help, but I wouldn't worry too much now as it looks like needing a trawl through the registers to get much further.  If my Aunt can't be bothered to spend a bit of a cash to help herself, I don't really want to impose on others but your help has been much appreciated.

Nicola

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 January 15 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola

Oh That's cool.
It is clear your proposal that this issue wants a re think, review and a structured new search is exactly whats needed.
I have been doing this for many years  and have often almost fallen into a search which has needed a review rather than more effort.

I have all the OFHS CD's here and various other resources so when you are ready if you think I can help then you will be very welcome should you ask.

Regards

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 January 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nigel for the offer.  I think its not so much a rethink as the need to do a widespread extraction of the various surnames in the area and see what turns up.  I find spreadsheets of such information work wonders in these situations. ;D  We've had to do it for own research many a time over the years.  Unfortunately with my Aunt, in spite of my best efforts, she doesn't still appreciate the need for this and the fact she may have to spend a bit more money even when at times it may not be fruitful. :-\