Author Topic: John Richardson DUNCAN further information  (Read 5707 times)

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Richardson DUNCAN further information
« on: Saturday 17 January 15 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am researching my great x 4 grandfather and his two wives for my course. He was born about 1803 in Hull. I think (but not certain) that he was christened in Beverley in Feb 1803. He married Mary EASTON 29 July 1829. She then died (awaiting death certificate) Feb 1839. JR DUNCAN then married Mary Ann DANIELS 26 May 1842 and then there are divorce papers for Judicial Separation in May 1858. The papers make for horrible reading and if they are to be completely believed, JR DUNCAN was a horrible person and emotionally and physically abused his second wife. I am trying to find extra information in the papers or other documents about JR DUNCAN. I can't find any mention of the divorce, though maybe judicial separation wasn't reported? He was also a merchant and a 'gentleman'. I believe he was also a ship owner, though his obituary mentions he used to work for Gee & Co. I think his son William Easton DUNCAN was also a ship owner.
Any help filling in some of the gaps are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Richardson DUNCAN further information
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 January 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I beleive judicial separation is a little different from divorce, as the couple remain married, but not living together. The date is interesting, as the divorce laws changed in 1857 so she was quick off the mark. Having found them both on 1861, interestingly she has the youngest child with her,  when often as not the men got custody

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 January 15 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes it was very quick off the mark as the law came to effect that January.  I didn't realise sbout custody though. I have to revisit the censuses too as I previously thought there was just one marriage.  I am wanting to see if his first wife ( my ancestor) died of natural causes or anything else suspicious.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 15 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi BK...According to a couple of trees on Ancestry...J.R. Duncan married Mary Ann Cransick in 1842...she was born in Hull in 1818 and died in 1885.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 15 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi BK...According to a couple of trees on Ancestry...J.R. Duncan married Mary Ann Cransick in 1842...she was born in Hull in the 1818 and died in 1885.
Carol

hi Carol

I have seen those and I believe that they are incorrect.  The census confirms he was married to mary the whole time and the divorce papers show it was Mary Ann Daniels he was married to. I have emailed them with details but I am yet to get a response.

kind regards
Melanie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 March 15 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Think this is his baptism:

Jno. Richardson Duncum bp.1802 (full date not given) Holy Trinity Hull, son of David and Keturah.

possibly a sister:

Susannah Dunkin b.30/11/1806, bp.2/12/1806 Fish Street Ind. Kingston upon Hull, dau. of David and Keturah.

David Duncum married Keturah Richardson 6/10/1801 Hull.

The above all on familysearch.

FindMyPast shows: David Duncan bc.1772 bur.8/9/1827 Wesleyan Methodist, Kingston upon Hull.

FreeReg: Keturah Duncan bc.1781 bur.28/7/1807 Kirk Ella - Abode Hull.

Looks like David remarried (no status given on online record):

David Duncan married Margaret Umpleby 23/10/1808 Sculcoates and they had the following children, all baptised Wesleyan Methodist, Kingston upon Hull:

Samuel b.3/2/1811, bp.1/7/1818
Richard b.3/1/1814, bp.    ditto
Margaret b.5/10/1815, bp.18/10/1816 - bur.3/9/1819
David bc.1816-7 bur.12/4/1817 (shown as son of David and Margaret)
David b.7/3/1818, bp.1/7/1818 - bur.30/5/1821
Jonathan b.17/11/1820, bp.19/7/1821
David Fletcher b.17/1/1826, bp.27/5/1826

In 1841 Samuel and Jonathan are living together in Kingston upon Hull

Margaret Duncan (2nd wife) bc.1784, bur.15/6/1831 Wesleyan Methodist, Kingston upon Hull.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline terrac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 March 15 08:08 GMT (UK) »
The John Richardson Duncan who worked for Gee & Co Hull died 8th February 1869 at Bridlington Quay. The residence of his son in law John G Kirsten esq. Died aged 66.

There was a notice to creditors in 1870.  His will was proved in the principal registry by the executors William Easten Duncan and John George Kirsten 9th April 1869.

I can send you the newspaper articles if you do not already have these. PM your email address.

Offline terrac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 March 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Also found if interested.     Capt John Gravill of the whaler "Diana" married Anne Duncan second daughter of Mr John Richardson Duncan merchant of Hull..  10 November 1858

Deaths - Feb 21st 1897 - Thomas Daniels Duncan son of the late John Richardson Duncan aged 53, Interred at Sculcoates Sacristy, Wednesday 24th.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 March 15 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Melanie...Just out of interest...The Chairwoman... of the Carnegie Heritage Centre in Hull where I am a volunteer is a descendent of Capt. John Gravill...I believe she has a photo and also a book about him.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU