Author Topic: Robertson's in Inverness and Orkney  (Read 10373 times)

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson's in Inverness and Orkney
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, Paul, that is the exact same way that I was convinced too!  Yes, I used the baptism to confirm the information.  I had always had James Robertson, listed under Edward Robertson/Christina Groat, until I found his death information.  It was then that I figured out James was from Edward and Margaret.  I have so many Sutherland's in my line too!  My grandfather's middle name was Sutherland!

So, it does look like we descend from the same line.  From James Robertson/Elizabeth Cromarty, whom do you descend from? Or are you from one of his half siblings (from father's 2nd marriage?)

Jenn

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:10 BST (UK) »
For my friend I've been able to get back to John Robertson (no dates - born North Uist, Invernesshire) and his wife, Catherine Macqullis.

Hi Jenn,

Can you tell me with a quesstimate when John & Catherine were born please & was Catherine from N Uist  ???

I am trying to work out what the surname should be as I have a feeling MacQuillis may be a variant of something else  ???

Annie

ADDED.........I forgot to say I think it may be MacCuish or MacQuarrie or MacKiggan???

Just looking at possibilities with what I have.

Annie - All I have is approximate date of 1787 for John Robertson in N. Uist.  I have no dates or locations for Catherine.  AND, I have her name as either MacInnes or Macquilles.  I'll attach the death record of their son, Archibald Robertson.  (This is my friends line). It's difficult to read the last name.  Let me know what you may have figured out. 

Jenn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Annie - All I have is approximate date of 1787 for John Robertson in N. Uist.  I have no dates or locations for Catherine.  AND, I have her name as either MacInnes or Macquilles.  I'll attach the death record of their son, Archibald Robertson.  (This is my friends line). It's difficult to read the last name.  Let me know what you may have figured out. 

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

The name is Catherine MacQueen  ;D

So you have North Uist roots like myself  :P........Maybe you have S/Uist relatives too?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Jenn,

Do you have any info. at all for N/Uist as I could have a look to see what I have in my wee archive  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
Annie-
Glad you figured it out!  It would have taken me forever, and I was going to be stuck on this line!  This is my friend's line.  I'm trying to trace his Robertson line and mine back to a common ancestor. 

Figure if you are a Robertson from Scotland you must be related!  I was a Robertson by birth, my friend also, but he was born in Inverness, where as I am born and raised in Massachusetts, USA. 

Jenn

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
What kind of information?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
I could look for Robertsons on census or even possibly any births or marriages.

I did a quick search in my N/Uist folder & the name has come up so I would be pretty certain they would all be related although you must not take my word on that as it would need to be proven.

I'm not a Robertson. I descend from MacAulays but not enough records to go back the way.
My wall is my 2 x g g/mother Jane MacAulay b c1779 - 1805 b N/Uist who's father was Allan (according to her death cert) & mother Mary MacEachen so nothing more to be had apart from sticking a circa date on their birth years  ;D
My 2 x g g/mother married a S/Uist man so the rest from there were born & raised on S/Uist.

Annie

ADDED......I also have N/Uist MacQueens in my tree (married into mine) so not direct line although I know someone who is a direct descendant of that line & top of the tree is MacQueen & MacVicar who were from Genitote & Cladach (Balshare)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 August 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
There is someone on here who does look-ups for N/Uist & if I can find her/him (can't remember the name), I will let you know  ;)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

If you can give me a run down on what you have for Archibald's son Donald, yr of birth, children names/dates & what census records you have found them on before I pull up my N/Uist info. to save checking what you already have.

The names for Donald's children & any siblings may help to clarify a connection with anything I can find  ???

Annie