Author Topic: DEACON family Leicestershire  (Read 15664 times)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DEACON family Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi tony
My name is Steve
I'm doing Pryor hartshorn and deacon have traced thane hartshorn to smile by she was working for a farmer if I remeber his name was John smith .the pryors were barkby and checkers road Leicester number 15 .have found out that the house they lived had been changed into a Indian takeaway things do change don't they.a real shame when your trying to find out about your family and you find part of that history gone .just like my grandad .he worked at ellistown pit that's alone all the paper work got thrown down one of the shafts after it closed all that history gone one will be able to trace any thing
Steve

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thanks for trying to help and good luck with your families

Tony

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 21:43 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)thanks
Tony same to as well hope you have a lot of luck hope to seak to you again.
Ste
Tony if come across any who can get on to ANC can you ask if they can have a look at Charles cooper born Barlestone leicestershire and Elizabeth geary s marriage image for me please as I can't view it I have a copy from my library which didn't have their parents names on it .there is one on ANC whith the names ,but unable to view it Elizabeth was born 1810 Stanton under bardon her father was John geary he married Alice frost ,but would love to see this one ?

Offline badger77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 February 15 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

Deacon is my paternal Grandmothers name and I have traced back to John Deacon (3rd gt Grandfather) who was born around 1789 in Fleckney. I no longer live in England so it's impossible for me to visit the Records office so like you, I await FreeReg to transcribe the Fleckney records.

Good luck with Searching
Leicestershire      Northamptonshire    Rutland
Deacon                 Almond                       Gotch
Hodges                 Letts                            Newbold
Kilby                       Maydwell                    Parker
Norton
Wilson
Wood

Ireland - Donegal
Doherty
Devine
Diver
McLaughlin

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 February 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Badger

Thanks for your interest. I'm not sure how much of the above posts you've read but I'd be interested if you've found anyone who matches the profile below. I see that you have Kilby in your places of interest as well.

Elizabeth married Charles Vines in Leicester in 1831. Her name was given as Elizabeth Coton but when she later gave birth to a boy, his certificate gave her maiden name as Deacon. My assumption was that she had been married twice and Willsy above found a record of an Elizabeth Deacon marrying William Coton in 1828 but we've not been able to find his death - the most likely reason at that time for her re-marrying.

In census records, when her second husband Charles was still alive, the age she gave leads to a birth year of 1805 and consistently in all censuses her place of birth was given as Kilby. However after Charles died young she appeared to age by about 4 years making her DoB 1801. It is not uncommon for older wives to lie about their ages to their husbands. He probably thought that he was 4 years younger than her but she was probably 8 years older than him. Whether or not that assumption is true she outlived her second husband by 9 years anyway, dying in 1867.

I was able to get the BMD records for Kilby and although there was one Deacon family there at the end of the 18th century there was no sign of Elizabeth's birth recorded. My assumption therefore is that she lived there as a child but was not actually born there.

In the 1841 census Charles and Elizabeth were living in Uppingham and there were two Deacons in the same household - husband and wife - probably further evidence that she was from a Deacon Family. I traced them and in later censuses the husband claimed to have been born in Oadby, Leicestershire but again I've struggled to find such a family going backwards and any other link with Elizabeth Deacon.

I wonder whether any of the above rings bells for you? 

Offline badger77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 February 15 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

No, sorry, although I have about 25 Deacons in my tree, I have no Elizabeth. Also the "Kilby" in my interest refers to the surname "Kilby" and they all came from the Melton Mowbray area.

Since I posted the 1st reply to you, I have googled "Deacon Fleckney" to see if anything interesting would appear and although no Elizabeth's have caught my eye, I noticed an piece about The Old Crown Inn, Fleckney which my 2nd Gt Grandfather was Head of household and resident in the 1871 census. The Inn was built by a Thomas Decon in 1797 so thanks for making me hunt the Deacons today and finding that. I'm sure you have anyway, but it's worth googling "Deacon Kilby" and wading through the pages just to see what comes up.

I will, of course, make a note of your "Elizabeth Deacon" interest and the next time I am at the Records office in Wigston, I will have a look although, as I said, I no longer live in England so it will be on the next visit.

Happy hunting
Norton
Wilson
Wood

Ireland - Donegal
Doherty
Devine
Diver
McLaughlin

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 February 15 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Badger77

I also saw that you are researching the name Letts in Northants. My wife's great grandmother was Jane Harrold (nee Letts) (1842-1922) who came from Sibbertoft. Her father Thomas was a tailor in that village.

Tony

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 February 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I should also have mentioned that my brother-in-law came from the area around Fleckney and he's told me that the name Deacon remains closely associated with that village - or at least it still was around 50 years ago when he was still around there.

Offline badger77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 February 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

Yes, I think there were plenty of Deacons in Fleckney, I visited the church graveyard (as you do) when I was over there a couple of years ago and found a few ancestors residing there.

As to the Letts, we may have a connection there as my Letts mainly came from Cold Ashby and Clipston, the latter being 5 miles from Sibertoft (only 41 minutes walking time according to google and I'm sure, quicker by horse and cart). Although I always note all blood relatives and their spouses to myself, I can't find a Jane and the newer Letts seem to end up in Leicester. My earliest Letts is William, my 3rd Gt Grandfather born 1816 in Lilbourne which is a tad further away from Sibertoft, but if you have any info into the Letts, I'd be very happy.

Norton
Wilson
Wood

Ireland - Donegal
Doherty
Devine
Diver
McLaughlin