Author Topic: Looking for an inquest or newspaper report 1962 in Ballymena for a John Purdy  (Read 7507 times)

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an inquest or newspaper report 1962 in Ballymena for a John Purdy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 20:47 GMT (UK) »

I was in Ballymena sooner than expected and in the library there I searched two local Ballymena weekly newspapers and one national daily newspaper published between 3 August 1962 and 12 September 1962 looking for references to the death of John Purdy.  I did not find an inquest report but I did find a couple of short reports of the incident itself along with death notices which give details of various relatives.
He was aged 61 when he died and had 10 "grown-up" children.  He wife was known as Minnie, he had sons James and John, a daughter Emily and brother Tommy.  The accident happened at Ramsey's Quarry, Cross, Moorfields where John had worked for 20 years.  He was a member of Pollee Orange Lodge 841.  He was buried in Second Broughshane burying-ground otherwise described as Broughshane New Cemetery.

I will pm you with a copy of the newspaper excerpts.

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an inquest or newspaper report 1962 in Ballymena for a John Purdy
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 January 15 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much!!!
I've just sent you a Private message and email.
This is so great!! Things are  definitely matching up with  some of the things that I do know and I'm certain it's him.

Very Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 January 15 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Would you know most Purdys in Antrim or is the name more common than I think?

I was wondering who (if anyone) might have a collection of photos that once belonged to May Holland of Old Holywood Rd Belfast. Her daughter Sheila Purdy wife of Stanley corresponded with my father after May died in 1988  but my father died in 1994. I have this last week found Sheila's letter of 1988 which includes the names of her daughters but I will not name them. I know Sheila has since died also

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,
Myself ?- I don't know most Purdy's in Antrim .
my own G grandfather had all girls and only two boys, one who couldn't have children, my grandmother's eldest brother had a load of sons.
My research is basically around the Broughshane  and Ballymena areas,

Is the name common ? I don't think it's overly common in Northern Ireland .  if you look at the phone book and such,  it also doesn't seem to be very common in the past either.

Have you tried BT phone book. I've just put Purdy and  Northern Ireland in the search box for you , it returned 50 results, Belfast returned only 6. There are a couple in Armagh (where David Stanley died)
http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha#

There will be lots  more of course as not everyone is in the phone book these days ( many people are x directory  and then there are  such things not owning a landline anymore)

On 192 site , the electoral rolls( I haven't got a sub with them, so can't look at the full details) . There are only a few Purdy's around Belfast in the recent electoral rolls ( not all will be listed - if they opted out of being public)
http://www.192.com/people/

It depends on how much you want to get in contact with their family, you could view the addresses on 192 com looking at the most current dates (2013 to 2014) for all  the Purdy names in the areas that your interested in and write to them . Tell them in writing why you are looking for the family of the late Shelia and Stanley Purdy, and explain the reasons why.

Have you come across Shelia or Stanley's obituary online by googling (I've come across these but don't know if it is yours (?) )

.http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-10769815.html
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-10769590.html
 And  then  there is this one for Stanley who seems is David Stanley - he must have just been know by his middle name ( it looks to be him because the other people mentioned fit with the names on Sheila's death notice)
http://classifieds.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/advert/northern-ireland/family-notices/death-notices/39222/Purdy-David-Stanley-Death

Have you though of writing to the stated Funeral director who dealt with Stanley's funeral or the church where Shelia's funeral took place . Maybe you could ask them to pass on your letter to their family.
Just a few suggestions which you probably have already tried or though of yourself.

Hope that helps
Kind Regards :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cell for hunting up the funeral notice links.

Yes this is the right family as the daughters names match, though they were only just in their teens in the 80s. Sheila's mother May Holland nee Gawn was a cousin of my grandfather so Sheila was my father's second cousin. Another second cousin from the same Gawn family lives in Bangor and knew Sheila and I am in contact with him which is how I knew Sheila had died.

I didn't immediately realise you are in Australia, so thought you might be closer geographically to Sheila's family and would know if any of them was interested in their family history. There is quite a lot known about the Gawn families of Antrim and most of it is available on a website, and many of the photos on our line in the website came from May. The website owner sent me photocopies from May's collection back in the late 80s.

Anyway thank you again.

Linda (NZ)

Cheers

Linda

Offline UKFrankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 May 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello - I've stumbled upon your post, having Googled "R A Simpson coroner Antrim and Ballymena" and see that you have searched too for an inquest report.  I am looking for a report also for a death in August 1978, with the inquest report completed or submitted in December 1978 (and undertaken by the same coroner).  I notice that you posted your notice on this site in January of this year and am wondering if you have had any success in obtaining a copy of the inquest report you were looking for? Our searches have no connection but I am looking for information on the death of my father.  I appreciate that it will make for harrowing reading but I am prepared for that and would be very grateful if you could signpost me to other websites or organisations that could help me.  Am I right in thinking that an inquest report in the UK is information that is free to anyone wishing to research it?
Many thanks for any help or advise you can offer
UKFrankie

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 May 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
UKFrankie,

The NI Coroner’s Office says this about obtaining copies of reports:

“At the discretion of the Coroner "properly interested persons" may see notes of evidence or any document put in evidence at an inquest and may also obtain copies of these on payment of a fee.
Requests for copies of inquest papers should be made in writing to the Coroner at the address below.”

Why not e-mail the Coroner’s Office and ask whether you can get a copy? It looks as though you will need to satisfy them you are a “properly interested person.” Failing that you may need to rely on newspaper reports.

http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-GB/Services/Coroners/Pages/default.aspx

Though at one time there were regional Coroners, they are all based in Belfast now.
Elwyn

Offline UKFrankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 May 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Elwyn - I have emailed the Coroner's Office in Belfast and will await their reply.  I am the daughter of the person's who's inquest report I wish to read, so I hope that will qualify me to have access to the file.

Many thanks again for your help
Frankie

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 May 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested to know what reply you get. Perhaps you could let us know?
Elwyn