Author Topic: John Davidson Death at Sea  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Steve Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Davidson Death at Sea
« on: Tuesday 20 January 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in information regarding John Davidson a ships carpenter from Aberdeen.
I have found a record of a John Davidson's death at sea on the 12th Feb 1858 a crew member on the Caledonia (Aberdeen).
Margaret Davidson (née Young) can be found on the 1851 census Toxteth, Liverpool listed as a ships carpenters wife and on the 1861 census Worsley, Lancashire listed as a widow

If John died at sea would he have been buried there, will there be a death certificate, if there is where can I get a copy.

Where could I find the crew list for the Caledonia.

steve

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Davidson Death at Sea
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 09:46 GMT (UK) »
There's a record on FindMyPast that says he died of consumption at Launceston. http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=bmd%2fmtm%2fbt153%2f0003%2f001-097&parentid=bmd%2fd%2fmaritime%2f802352&highlights=%22%22

The Caledonia was indeed at Launceston Tasmania in February 1858 per contemporary newspaper reports in Trove. There is also a local record of the death of the death at Launceston of John Davidson, a labourer,  on 12 February 1858 aged 20, of Phthisis.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=anz%2fbmd%2ftas%2f007368140%2f00279&parentid=anz%2fau%2ftas%2fbmd%2fd%2f0000055651&highlights=%22%22

I noted too that there was a John Davidson of the ship Africa (with a Liverpool number 16213) who drowned at Old Calabar on 29 May 1858.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
There is also a local record of the death at Launceston of John Davidson, a labourer,  on 12 February 1858 aged 20, of Phthisis.
I am interested in information regarding John Davidson a ships carpenter from Aberdeen.
I have found a record of a John Davidson's death at sea on the 12th Feb 1858 a crew member on the Caledonia (Aberdeen).

I am wondering if this death 12 February actually has any connection to the Caledonia....  I am thinking there's no real connection, as it seems the Caledonia was not at sea on  Friday 12 February 1858.   

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38990474 Launceston Examiner 29 Jan 1858…..
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2461689  The Courier 22 Jan 1858
On the 3rd November an apprentice named Guyon fell from the Jib-boom guy, and was lost, though every effort was made to pick him up.

10th – at least 16th February,1858 …. The Caledonia was still IN PORT
VESSELS IN PORT
Barques Henry Reed,  Caledonia, ……..
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38990608  Launceston Examiner 11 Feb 1858
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38990667 Launceston Examiner 16 Feb 1858
Fatal Accident …. The Chief Mate of the “Henry Reed” drowned ….. ensigns at half mast  for Mr Richard Young, …. It appeared from the evidence of Mr James Simon, chief officer of the barque “Caledonia:, a vessel which lies about two ship’s lengths ahead of it “Henry Reed” …… at the Market House Tavern …. St John Street ….  …. The jury added a recommendation that vessels should be compelled to keep a watch at night …… wharf in an unsafe condition ….. preferable ….. each vessel should contribute to maintain a good watch on the quay. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if this death 12 February actually has any connection to the Caledonia

Possibly not but it's the same name, same place, same date, same cause of death (TB) as the man listed in the register of deaths at sea.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 11:19 GMT (UK) »
There are 8 registered deaths at sea for people named John Davidson 1851-1860:

1852 ship Edwards
1853 ship Charlotte
1856 ship Hindostan
1857 Madura
1858 Loodianah, Caledonia and Africa
1860 Soda

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 11:41 GMT (UK) »
The first record  you found ShaunJ looks the most hopeful.
It shows John's home port as Aberdeen and his ship as the Caledonia, both of which fit in with Steves information.
I looked for a Tasmanian registered death as the Caledonia was in Launceston port on the day of his death however only found the 20 yr old mentioned in the second link.
According to the 1851 census quoted by Steve, his wife Margaret was 40 and the eldest of his children 20 at that time.
Its interesting. I wonder where the death would be registered in that case, if he died while the ship was in port. Anyone know ?
Just curious, Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 11:50 GMT (UK) »
If he died while at Launceston, Tasmania, then the death would be registered in Launceston, Tasmania.  As I understand it, a death at sea is meant to be entered into the ship's log, noting the Latitude and Longitude of the burial and other particulars, and it is then meant to be reported to the Registrar General for Births, Deaths and Marriages at the next port that the ship visits. 

early Tasmania BDMs are now online   These registers contain the formal registration records for deaths in Tasmania from the beginning of official registration in Dec 1838. ....Digital images of this record series are available to view online by clicking on the item links below to get to the Item Details pages. Copies may be made for private research/study but any other use requires permission from the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office. .   

http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/tasmaniasheritage/search/guides/bdm-registration

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 12:53 GMT (UK) »
The Loodianah death actually occurred in August 1857 but was registered in 1858. Dysentery at Old Calabar. Ship's home port Liverpool. £47-4s paid out at the Liverpool office.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 13:43 GMT (UK) »
It shows John's home port as Aberdeen

No, that's the ship's home port