Author Topic: Reynolds or Campbell, born Dublin, living in Liverpool area 1930s  (Read 5262 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Reynolds or Campbell, born Dublin, living in Liverpool area 1930s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
which used to come under Prescot Register Office but I am sure by the 1920's it came under West Derby .

According to the link below - Halewood came under Prescot 1837-1964 and from 1964 it was under Widnes.  However - it also states Hale & Halewood went to Liverpool South in 1952.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/prescot.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 15:05 GMT (UK) »
The 1886 Liverpool-born man was in St. George's RC Industrial Schools for Boys in Everton in 1901 and later he appears to have gone to sea. With him marrying at St. Malachy's in Toxteth in 1914 he probably later lived in the south end of Liverpool so the 1953 death index could be him.

Blue 

Offline pollux83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your efforts so far!

In response to Blue70's question, Alice was born (in Dublin) on 20 Oct 1890, but I'm not sure which surname I should offer for the 1939 registration search! Could be Campbell or Reynolds.

I have not been able to find a birth/baptismal record for Fred, only his birth in the Civil Registration index for Dublin South in Q1 1887. I know his parents and siblings, so applying for a birth cert is unlikely to be helpful.

Alice and Fred both appear in the 1901 and 1911 Dublin censuses. Their 1915 marriage cert shows that Fred was then in the Royal Irish Rifles: I have found two medal cards that fit, but one of those  was for a soldier who was killed in action in 1916, and he was born in Co Down apparently.

I'm guessing (dangerous!) that the other one may be for 'my' Fred. I have a photo of him in early 1930s so he evidently survived WW1. A relative of Alice has told me that she believes he died around 1934 but I have found nothing to confirm this.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your efforts so far!

In response to Blue70's question, Alice was born (in Dublin) on 20 Oct 1890, but I'm not sure which surname I should offer for the 1939 registration search! Could be Campbell or Reynolds.

I have not been able to find a birth/baptismal record for Fred, only his birth in the Civil Registration index for Dublin South in Q1 1887. I know his parents and siblings, so applying for a birth cert is unlikely to be helpful.

Alice and Fred both appear in the 1901 and 1911 Dublin censuses. Their 1915 marriage cert shows that Fred was then in the Royal Irish Rifles: I have found two medal cards that fit, but one of those  was for a soldier who was killed in action in 1916, and he was born in Co Down apparently.

I'm guessing (dangerous!) that the other one may be for 'my' Fred. I have a photo of him in early 1930s so he evidently survived WW1. A relative of Alice has told me that she believes he died around 1934 but I have found nothing to confirm this.

The application form for the 1939 register has a section D for "Other names used" which may be useful in identifying the right person if an alternative surname was used.

Blue

Offline pollux83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 June 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
For anyone monitoring this conversation, here is an update. Thanks to suggestions on another forum (some of whose members are also on this one), I have identified the probable death of Fred in 1932.

The death certificate names him as George Reynolds, a gardener of Stanley House, Halewood, Lancs. The informant was his widow Alice. Irish documents from 1934 regarding Alice give her surname as Reynolds and her address as Stanley House, so although Fred's/George's age on the certificate is out by a couple of years I'm pretty confident that it's the right one.

Of course this doesn't resolve the question of why they changed their surname from Campbell to Reynolds!

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 June 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
do you know whether they had any children in South Liverpool ?
K G Campbell 1922   male .........mothers maiden name Moore
M F Campbell 1924  female  .......mothers maiden name Moore
V Campbell 1927     female ........mothers maiden name Moore
A Campbell 1929      male ..........mothers maiden name Moore
West Derby Registered which covered South Liverpool

I live 3 miles from Halewood ....which used to come under Prescot Register Office but I am sure by the 1920's it came under West Derby ....maybe another member can confirm
I disagree that West Derby registration area covered  South Liverpool (unless it stretched further than I had thought).        I was born in Crosby, which was in the West Derby district at that date.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich