Author Topic: James Boswell, 9th laird of Auchinleck, Ayrshire  (Read 1420 times)

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Boswell, 9th laird of Auchinleck, Ayrshire
« on: Tuesday 27 January 15 04:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. Please feel free to move it to wherever it will perhaps find an answer.
Boswell is best noted for his writings on Samuel Johnson but he also wrote descriptions of his travels etc. I read somewhere that he also wrote in a diary about his property in Ayrshire and this is what I am very interested in reading. Apparently he mentioned a fellow named "Currie" (no forename). This is a relative of mine. I would like to read what Boswell has to say about his work on the estate.
Thank you in advance.
Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Boswell, 9th laird of Auchinleck, Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Here's a list of Boswell's books and diaries currently available - http://www.boswelltrust.com/boswells-books. The one called Boswell, Laird of Auchinleck 1778-1782 seems promising.

You could also contact the Boswell Trust or, if you're in the area, visit the Boswell Book Festival at Cumnock in May - http://www.boswellbookfestival.co.uk

Regards

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Auchinleck House has been restored and can be rented from the charity, the Landmark Trust, which restores old properties and makes the available for holiday letting.

Skoosh.

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link landj. I had found the list of books previously but could not get access to the contents online. As I live in Canada a personal visit is out of the question. Would local libraries in Ayrshire have a copy of "Boswell Laird of Auchinleck 1778-1782"? Perhaps some one in Scotland would be kind enough to take a look for me for the references to "Currie" in that book. I know that is a lot to ask.
Skoosh, thank you for adding the information on Auchinleck House. I had found that information a few days ago.
Hoping someone will take a peek in the book for me, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack