Author Topic: Louisa Westmacott? - Stroud ?  (Read 4667 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louisa Westmacott? - Stroud ?
« on: Sunday 01 February 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying clear up a brick wall regarding a Louisa Westmacott b 1828/29 (unsure) who married John Clayfield of Horsley in Stroud Register Office in 1851 and died in Australia 1894

There is 1 Louisa Westmacott on IGI but her birthdate/christening makes her 14 at marriage

Louisa Margaret Westmacott
Australia, Births and Baptisms, 1792-1981
birth:
4 August 1837

christening:
2 September 1837
ST PHILIPS, SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA
residence:
New South Wales, Australia

father:
Robt Marsh Westmacott
mother:
Louisa Marian

I have a marriage record (see below) and yes I will send away for it as soon as I organise a safe payment method.

This marriage record lists her name as Wesmincot and IGI list her as Wennicot

I read in Phillimores Gloucester Notes series that even Shakespeare had trouble with the Gloucestershire dialect! A discussion was had how Woodmancote is/was pronounced Wincott in one of the Bards works. So I don't even know if it was Westmacott.

Only that in the SA BDM records does it say Westmacott ( apart from the mis-spelt Wistmacott for Maria C(l)ayfield

The 4 children they had in Horsley were listed as Mothers Name Westmancote x 2 , Westmancot x 1 and Westmancott x 1 ???

Hope I haven't been a pain and I hope I haven't confused people.

Much appreciation in advance

D
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Westmacott? - Stroud ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Marriage is on FreeBMD:

December qtr 1851
Stroud district     vol 11, page 716

Clayfield, John
+ and on the same page +
Wennicott, Louisa

Puzzled about the reference to an Australian baptism?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 15 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hey

Yes I have that marriage. I was trying to point out the many different spellings of Westmacott which is hindering my search for her parents.

I used the baptism to point out the only Louisa I found was too young to be married to John Clayfield

:)

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 15 12:22 GMT (UK) »
A possible from 1841?
Class: HO107; Piece: 374; Book: 2; Folio: 6; Page: 7
Cumberland Street, St Pauls, Bristol

Westacott, Elizabeth  F  32  L of Houses(?)
Westacott, Louisa  F  11
Westacott, Michael  M  10
Westacott, Charles  M  9
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 15 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't thought of Bristol. About 45 mins (by car) from Stroud and Horsley though not unheard of.

Thank you its now a 7th variation on the name  ;D  There is also Westcott , Estcourt, Estcott etc etc etc

Ahh if it was easy we wouldn't enjoy the hunt

Thanks

Scott, Cronin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
I received the marriage certificate for John Clayfield and Louisa today. Thank you GRO  :)

I was hoping to find an answer to why there were 3 different versions of her name but in this instance it seems to be Wesmincot.

I was hoping to get a signature but all I got was a 'mark'' from both. So it would seem the version presented was missed by the 2 parties as to a correct ( as I understand it ) Westmacott

I was also hoping to find a Fathers Name but alas that is blank. I have Johns which is quite rightly Richard Clayfield.

But what I did get was from a November marriage the cert says they are both 21..leaving a birth Date in 1830

I also got a marriage place : Shortwood Meeting House Stroud

And also a residence for Louisa : Nailsworth Horsley

So it gives me a few leads to chase now  :)

Scott, Cronin

Offline shepway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 15 23:28 BST (UK) »
From Ancestry:Name:   Louisa Westmacott
Baptism Date:   18 Mar 1827
Parish:   Ashley, Gloucestershire, England
Parish as it Appears:   Ashley
Father:   Elizabeth Westmacott

The image tells us that Louisa was born to Elizabeth Westmacott, Single Woman.

Parish details here: http://ukga.org/england/Wiltshire/towns/Ashley.html

Mike

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mike.

That is 1 I have as a strong possibility. Now I have the wedding certificate it makes it more likely because of the LACK of fathers name. Is that a correct assumption to make? ie no father because none is known

Scott, Cronin

Offline shepway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
The lack of a father's name suggests that Louisa was illegitimate. It is also worth noting that Shortwood (near Nailsworth) and Ashley are not far apart.
It would be good to establish what happened to her mother Elizabeth. Did she marry and if so can she be found in the 1841 or 1851 Census.
There are 2 marriages one either side of the baptism of Louisa. I think we can rule out the one before and the other one is some distance away in the north of the County:
Name:   Elizabeth Westencott
Marriage Date:   1 Nov 1827
Spouse:   Wm Castle
Event Type:   Marriage
Parish:   Willersey, Gloucestershire, England
Parish as it Appears:   Willersey

Mike