Author Topic: Marr Rec ? RE:Newcastle T (Gills, Thompson)  (Read 10391 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Marr Rec ? RE:Newcastle T (Gills, Thompson)
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Here's what the record for St. John Lee says  - Dec 25th 1858  by banns

William Dye of full age, bachelor, Labourer of Bingfield Comb (I think this is Bingfiled Combe), father Daniel Dye, Labourer

Mary Ann Gills of full age, spinster of Bingfield Comb, father Robt. Gills, Labourer

Witnesses - William Smith and Isabella Gills

Christine

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Gills of full age, spinster of Bingfield Comb, father Robt. Gills, Labourer

Witnesses - William Smith and Isabella Gills

I rest my case.

(There is an Isabella Gills in the household with Robert and Jane in 1841).

Here is Bingfield Combe http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eoj/
It's a good way north of St John Lee church - it was a very large parish http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/StJohnLee/index.html
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mel.D.Lorenzo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 February 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Ok!

So, I found a family member of the Gills family line who has contact with a branch of the family still living in Northumberland.

Mary Ann has a sad sad story.

John (b. 1858) is in fact her natural son. Unlike Joseph, there seems to be no indication as to who the father might be.  She did go on to marry William Dyer in 1858.

She died in 1867 from complications of childbirth and the daughter died along with her.  She had several children with William Dyer and the majority of them died in their youth.  I would guess that the complications of pregnancy may have possibly been that her uterine walls were weakened by practically being continuously pregnant from the years 1855 to 1867.  Seems like her children were born one after another.

I am currently waiting some documents from the family so I can tie this particular research subject off. I am hoping there will be some family history as to why Joseph was separated from his siblings.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 February 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Mel,

Good news that you have made contact with other Gills researchers!  :)

This confirms that the information Jen, Christine and the others so kindly provided is correct.  ;D It is always good to get confirmation that you are on the right track. It is still advisable to double check any further information they provide you to with as it is so easy to get it wrong.

Unless your contact has provided you with the details from Mary Ann's death certificate I'm not sure you can assume what caused her sad demise.

Many women in that time were constantly pregnant and had children at very regular intervals - every couple of years was often the norm. Deaths related to childbirth were quite common and there were obviously a number of reasons for this but "weakened uterine walls" is not one I have ever seen. Just for interest there are over 30 related to pregnancy and childbirth here:
http://www.antiquusmorbus.com/English/Puerperal.htm

Does your contact have Mary Ann's d/c? If not, you may wish to purchase it in the hope that it gives a specific cause of death.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
In 1985 when I had my first child they said if I were at home I would have probably bled out before getting to the hospital way back then before ambulances.  My guess if she died the same day as the child was born it was most likely hemorrhage but after a few days most likely some sort of infection or blood clots.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 01:37 GMT (UK) »
A friend of mine had this (postpartum hæmorrhage) with births of all of her children and was told the same thing.

It would also be interesting to know the babies cause of death if it died after birth, or if it was stillborn. Hopefully the d/c or d/cs will confirm. Do you know if they were buried together?

Offline Mel.D.Lorenzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I will be getting the D/C for my own files, and it has already been added to my growing list of "to order" certificates.

The uterine wall issue was my own assumption :)

Now I am researching another ancestor of Mary Ann's: Ann Green.

I found her christening record on FreeReg...and it lists her mother as a woman named Grace.  Only thing is...the man was married to Ann Dixon in that time period.  As a result, my primary assumption was that Ann Green was the Daughter of Ann Dixon.

And now I have another mystery.... who in the world is Grace?!

One thing or another in genealogy!! LOL

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 22:57 GMT (UK) »
When you get the d/c pop back and let us know what it says. Have you asked your Gills contact if they already have the d/c so you don't double up?

I am a bit confused by your next poser. Are you saying that you thought the mother of Ann Green was Ann Dixon? And the father's name was?
But you have now discovered that the mother of Ann Green is Grace surname unknown?
Sounds complicated. :-\

Anyway, you should start a new thread if you want help with this one, and give as much information as you can - names, dates, places etc.

Offline hcarson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 21 October 16 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I've been reading your comments and wanted to add my two pence:

Mary Ann Gills did have two children Joseph b.27 Aug 1855 and John b.27 Jul 1858 prior to marrying William Dye.

She can be found in the 1851 census : http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tynesidehistory/census1851.html

1851 MARCH 30   WEETSLADE   24 Low Weetslade   Giles   Mary Ann   SERV   U   18   Farm Serv.   N. PONTELAND

It was here whilst working as a servant she fell pregnant with Joseph Gills Young b. 27 Aug 1855 in TREWICK, a township in Bolam parish, Northumberland; 7 miles SW of Morpeth.

John b. 27 Jul 1858 took his mothers name Gills, no mention of father, but it wasn't long after he was born that she married William Dye on 25 Dec 1858.

"William Dye: Labourer, Residence of Bingfield Comb, F: Daniel Dye (labourer), Mary Ann Gills of Bingfield Comb, F: Robert Gills (labourer). Witness: William Smith, Frances Gills"

She died during the birth of Mary Ann Dye in Jan-Feb-Mar 1867

Her widowed husband William Dye of Ardleigh, Essex, remarried abt. 1870-1873 to a second Mary (surname unknown) born abt. 1832 in Blyth, Northumberland (not Ponteland like Mary Ann Gills). Re: 1871 census as wife in Chirton, North Shields, Tynemouth, Northumberland, England along with Williams other children Jane and Meggy/Margaret.

They had one child together William Dye b. Oct 1873 in Longbenton. They can be found in the 1881 census at 69 Prosperous Street, Long Benton, Northumberland, England.

If anyone has any information about William Dye b. 1819-1902 from Ardleigh, Essex, his father Daniel Dye, and/or his second wife Mary Dye nee. ? b. 1832-1904 from Blyth - I would be most grateful.

Happy Hunting!