Author Topic: Samuel and Elizabeth Brooks (nee Carberry)  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel and Elizabeth Brooks (nee Carberry)
« on: Sunday 01 February 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can find later census records and deaths of Samuel Brooks and Elizabeth nee Carberry.

Earlier topic here looking for the birth of their son Joseph in 1877 .... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=639010.msg4861622#msg4861622

I have them in
1871 in the Isle of Man (Class:RG10; Piece: 5777; Folio: 67; Page: 3); in
1881 in Wiltshire (Class:RG11; Piece: 2062; Folio: 40; Page: 13); and in
1891 in Merthyr Dovan (Barry) (Class: RG12, Piece: 4408; Folio: 5; Page: 1).

I've not found their marriage or Samuel's birth, but I'm now looking for them after 1891 and ultimately their deaths.

Names, ages and Samuel's place of birth and occupation change, and the whole entry in 1881 is confusing, but I'm fairly convinced they're the same family.

1871 Samuel Brook, 28, born England, farmer of 24 acres and an inn-keeper; Elizabeth 33, Douglas IOM, plus Alice J (5), William (3) and John (1)
1881 Samuel Brooks, 50, born Banbury, Oxfordshire, railway worker; Carbury (Elizabeth), 48, Rushen, IOM, plus Alice Jane (16), William (15), John (19), Thos (13), Sarah (7), Richard (5) and Joseph (3)
1891 Samuel (transcribed as James on FindMyPast), 49, born Aston, Oxfordshire, contractor builder; Elizabeth, 52, Douglas, IOM plus Thomas (20, navvy) and Joseph (13, boy labourer).

Joseph married Louisa Barnes in Pontypridd in 1896, father listed as Samuel, navvy ganger. Brother Thomas was a witness at the wedding and was boarding with Joseph and Louisa in Pontypridd in 1901. Other than this, I can't find anything further on Joseph's siblings, or his parents, though there is a death of an Elizabeth Brooks, aged 55, in Pontypridd in JunQ 1895.

While it would be good to know more on Joseph's siblings, it's Samuel and Elizabeth I'm keen to locate so if anyone can spot them in 1901 (if Elizabeth hasn't died), or later, that would be really helpful.

Many thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel and Elizabeth Brooks (nee Carberry)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Not doing very well so far for the parents, but given their history they could be anywhere! There is this chap in Pontypridd on 1901 who could br one of the children

William Brooks    35  b St Mary, IOM. Labourer in colliery
Annie Brooks    31 b Merthyr
Richard Williams    28 - boarder, b Ireland

RG13, 4998, 84, 36

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel and Elizabeth Brooks (nee Carberry)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 February 15 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mabel, it all helps. They have not been easy to find and i've looked for Brooks, Brook, Brock....

Should say i'm not looking for any info on Joseph and Louisa.

Thanks again,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....