Author Topic: File numbers on FreeREG records  (Read 4552 times)

Offline johnny1588

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
File numbers on FreeREG records
« on: Tuesday 03 February 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
There is a record of an Edward Tindal on FreeReg, who died in 1764 in the village of Ellingham, North'd. Is it possible to find out what the original document was that the transcription came from? Perhaps from the file number? The reason I ask is of all the genealogy sites I have been on (both subsciption and free) the above record can be found only on FreeReg and nowhere else. I would be interested in the source document as it could contain other information relating to my ancestors.  I hope that makes sense!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: File numbers on FreeREG records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
The record is also on findmypast. they say it comes from

Record set
Northumberland and Durham Burials

And about that set they say

About Northumberland and Durham Burials

Uncover your English ancestry through the Northumberland and Durham burial records. Discover where your ancestor is buried, where he/she lived and an additional relatives name to add to your growing family tree.

Each record includes a transcript of the original burial records. The transcripts were created by the Northumberland and Durham Family History Society, formed in 1975. The amount of information in each record can fluctuate, but most include a combination of the following information:

If that is not enough information you could contact the Northumberland board coordinator on freereg, although not sure if this is the type of enquiry they would welcome
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »

The burial is possibly on the LDS Film 993565 Item 1 for Ellingham but not on the IGI because they do not normally put deaths on the IGI. Here is the description of the abovementioned Film.

"The registers of Ellingham, in the country of Northumberland : transcript of the earliest existing register ... containing baptisms, 1695 to 1819; marriages, 1695 to 1804; burials, 1695 to 1819; dissenters register (births only), 1751 to 1806; also banns register, marriages, 1806 to 1814; banns, 1754 to 1814 [and] miscellaneous papers."

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I think it is possible that on freereg the description of source is under the Classification Church
eg
Place        Ellingham
Church   St. Maurice Tr

Tr meaning transcript.

I am sure there was a post on rootschat where this was mentioned recently.

Rosie
off to have another look for the post  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you ask the Co-Ordinator for FreeREG, Northumberland.  The registers for Ellingham have been transcribed by only one person - Barbara Grenville.

Or even get in touch with Northumberland and Durham Family History Society.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see that FindMyPast do not share as much information on Edward as FreeREG  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Tr would be transcripts. To see what areas have been covered you look under county and select town in question. The details given on the individual you look up usually says which  church. Certainly when creating a file we have to put in the area, church whether baptisms etc and the source of the info. Freereg uses parish records where they can but do use transcripts etc if no access to other material. Also use original registers if they can get their hands on them. It depends on who will let us use what! That's a major point of contention! We input our data into spreadsheets. although they are number and we input a register number if they have one, i think they are assigned a number because we can put any missed out and entered later by inserting in the relevant part of our file or add them at the end. So the number they are in our spreadsheet does n't mean anything. In respect to transcripts , the northumberland coordinator should be able to tell you the actual source. Sometimes transcripts come from transcript books already done or cd's or some that someone has done for own benefit and donates them. may come from the local archives.To see whats covered look on the county on the home back and click and click the town.scroll down and you can see the churches and whats been done and what being worked on. I agree with rosie 99 . People have given you the relevant advice.If you don't have any look , send me a pm and i'll try.

Offline johnny1588

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replys. I'll contact the Northumberland co-ordinator on FreeREG. I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Today I looked at the microfilm of the original parish register and can confirm that the freereg entry is accurate.  The original entry says -

'29 Mar 1764 Edward Tindal the elder of Brockdam'

Christine