Author Topic: Marriage or Death for Elizabeth Jane Davenport  (Read 20344 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage or Death for Elizabeth Jane Davenport
« Reply #45 on: Friday 13 February 15 06:55 GMT (UK) »
I have a sample Sth Africa dc somewheres.    DCs seem to be informative, so perhaps mc will be too ?
"DEATH NOTICE. 
Pursuant to the provisions contained in the Administration of Estates Act 1913"

DC headings:
Name of deceased, including nee
Birthplace, and nationality of deceased
Names and addresses of the parents of the deceased (and records if parents are known to be deceased)
Age of deceased in years and months
Occupation in life of the deceased, or if a women, of her husband
Ordingary place of residence of the deceased, or if a woman, of her husband
Married or unmarried, widower or widow
Name of surviving spouse (if any) and whether married in community of property or not
Name or Names and approximate date of death of pre-deceased spouse or spouses
Place of last marriage
The day of the decease
Where the person died  House   and Town or Place  and District
Name of children of the deceased, and whether majors or minors
    of birth of each minor, Names must be written out in full.  Tf there are no children and either or both parents be dead, then give the names and address of the brothers and sisters of the deceased
Has the deceased left any movable property
Has the deceased left any immovable property
Is it estimated that the estate exceeds £300 in value
Has the deceased left a will.....

Fingers crossed that birth and marriage certs are as informative, and there's online ways to look up and to order  ;D  and they are not too expensive  ;D   

Cheers,  JM   (edited to add headings  :) )
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 13 February 15 07:08 GMT (UK) »
My trusty notebook reminds me that the Death Notice belongs in the Probate File, exactly as Cando noted too....  ;D, and I don't seem to have a BDM Reg. General's issued cert  :-\  :-\

Probably doesn't help you but a quick look at my research in SA years ago shows a family member visited SA and applied for the birth and death certs.   I haven't had a marriage cert from SA.  Info about the marriages were taken from the Death Notices in the probate files.

Cando
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline erinkirk67

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 21 May 15 06:16 BST (UK) »
Kate,
I was surprised when I did some searching on google today and came across your posts regard Elizabeth.
I saw the photo of Elizabeth & husband....I am assuming that he is Thomas Herbert Alfred Hughes ??
Thomas is part of my family tree and we don't have very much information about him. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Erin