Author Topic: Richard Ansell Hayter ca 1825 Berkshire  (Read 20671 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Ansell Hayter ca 1825 Berkshire
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 05 February 15 13:32 GMT (UK) »
"Ruapehu" to Wellington, New Zealand - departed Port of London,  England - 13 September 1893

E.R.W. HAYTER - occupation:  Compositor - Married - aged 40 years [bc 1853 ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just looked again at the passenger list for above and E.R.W. HAYTER appears to be on the same ticket number, as the following people :

G.G.*  IRONS - 40 years - Occupation:  Printer
[* Looks like "G.G." but having done some "spade work" I think this man was one "Charles Clarke IRONS" who was an Artist (wood engraver ... later an author ). ]

- W. E. IRONS - male - aged 8 years
- S.C. IRONS - male - aged 10 years

So, a printer / a compositor ... was it some kind of partnership ?? maybe ERW working for this man ??

The two lads W E  (Wilfred Edward) and S C  (Seffried Charles) IRONS were the sons of Charles Clarke IRONS.    They all settled in Christchurch, although C.C. IRONS (who left a wife and other children behind in England in 1893) appears to have returned to London and married again in 1909 ?

~  Lu

Edited:   Ooops ... I goofed up a bit with this post ....  but what I've done is just added new information between *****),  to the earlier posting I made.  ;D

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 05 February 15 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm...must have been an unsuccessful partnership if Edwin returned to umbrella making! perhaps it was meant to be a new start for them, full of enthusiasm, which didn't work out.

I can't find a death for Editha Hayter, perhaps Edwin was as much a butterfly in his marriages as  he was in his occupation  ;D
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 05 February 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
[* Did I see somewhere that another of the HAYTER daughters married a "SMART"  ?? ]
Whether the parental information has been taken from the 1904 marriage certificate, is not known (no sources given).
Yes, Hannah Ellen Hayter married John Franklin Smart. They had a son William who died young & apparently no further issue. Both died in the 1890s.

I have emailed Canterbury Museum. It would be a fascinating project to transcribe the diaries & I have quite some experience at reading old handwriting.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 05 February 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, did find a (solitary) tree at ancestry which gave a few details of Edwin Richard William HAYTER.   [CUFF family tree ]:
I have also found a HAYTER private family tree on ancestry with Edwin Richard William Hayter. I will contact the tree owner who says he was born 1855 in Marylebone  ???

The CUFF tree does not come up in my search.
EDIT: Ah now it does if I log into ancestry.com; if I have world membership why doesn't it even if I am logged in [as they do to me by default] to ancestry.co.uk?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 12 February 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I had a reply from the museum:

I had a look at the diary and it is a 1 volume with 62 hand written pages. As the Museum conservation policy does not permit original manuscript material to be photocopied, I will have to photograph it. Unfortunately this is an expensive process, the cost for a high resolution photograph is NZ$20, so the total cost for the diary will be of NZ$1240 (NZ$20 x 62 photographs).

This cost is prohibitive & I don't know whether it is a digital image of an actual photograph. How can a HR digital photo cost NZ$20 to take? An earlier email reply had suggested there could be an abatement or waiver of the copying fee for exchange for a transcription but no inkling of this in the above reply.

I doubt if this diary is on display & doubt it ever has been read. A transcription would enable anyone to see it anywhere in the world.

Suggestions, please as to how to proceed....

Josey

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 27 February 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
An update - after some negotiation, the museum kindly rebated the fee by 50% then I suggested that if a single image was taken of each double page it would again reduce the number of required images by 50%. So for a quarter of the original estimate, I now have images of the whole diary, have read it & am starting to transcribe....sadly the diary starts on 24 Oct 1850 when the Isabella Hercus left Plymouth [they had embarked at Gravesend so were already seasick!!] but finishes on Sunday 12 Jan 1851 so there are 7 - 8 weeks missing until they arrived in Lyttleton on 1 Mar 1851.

It appears the party were Richard, Henrietta & William Hayter & Hannah & John Percy + an unnamed 'child' [who was very ill, 'reduced to a skeleton', doctor said 'he would not live even if he survived the voyage' - but the diary ends before we learn its fate; I have looked on findmypast overseas & New Zealand deaths but no Percy for 1850/1851]. I have yet to ascertain who they could be - I wondered if they were the John Percy/Hannah Taylor marriage Sep 1850 at Wandsworth by licence, with child John Percy born Sep 1850 Wandsworth? If so I do not know their connection to the Hayters.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 28 February 15 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey

So pleased to learn that you were able to negotiate a better deal with the museum.
I think it's wonderful that you have taken on the challenge of transcribing this diary.   :)
I, for one, will certainly be interested in reading it.

Yes, I think you have correctly identified the couple and infant (the PERCY's).
I do wonder though (and this is just my take on things), whether Richard was simply reporting on their plight because he spent time with them, sharing as it were, the same cabin space ?

I've found further info for the PERCY's, will add in following posts.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 28 February 15 10:29 GMT (UK) »

I have yet to ascertain who they could be - I wondered if they were the John Percy/Hannah Taylor marriage Sep 1850 at Wandsworth by licence, with child John Percy born Sep 1850 Wandsworth? If so I do not know their connection to the Hayters.

Unfortunately there are access problems with our NZBDM online facility at present so I haven't been able to do a thorough check of records.

Not sure if you viewed the marriage record for John PERCY / Hannah TAYLOR ... so will add it here.

St Mary, Battersea, Surrey
11 September 1850

John PERCY - full age - Bachelor - School Master
Father:   John PERCY - agriculture

Hannah TAYLOR - spinster (Minor)

Father:  George TAYLOR - gardener

Witnesses:   Thomas TAYLOR and Maria? (looks like) PORTER
--------

Was hopeful there might be a baptism record (at poss. St Mary's) for the child but found nothing under PERCY or TAYLOR.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 28 February 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Eventually found the correct, John PERCY, in New Zealand - and whilst he continued for a time in education, he'd also taken on another occupation ... and moved to another province (Nelson).
[Have yet to find anything for his wife Hannah. ]

From around 1858, there were newspaper birth announcements .. and very sadly, a number of deaths of children of Mr J PERCY (or Mr John PERCY).   I found the following burials at Fairfield Cemetery, Nelson :

1854 - Emily Howick PERCY - d. 30 March 1854 - aged 5 months

1858 - John James PERCY - aged 3 years, 8 months (possibly named for a brother ?) d. 27 December 1858.

1863 - Ellen Kate PERCY - d. 11 February - aged 8 months.

1868 - Ernest Noble PERCY - d. 18 October - aged 10 years.
All these burial records marked "child of Mr J PERCY".
-----

Can't see a family tree for this man, so it may well be that no children survived him ??

Additionally, there was a death notice published in a Nelson newspaper at the same time (1868) as son Ernest, passed away, recording the death of "Mrs Anne PERCY (on 1 June) at Howick, Northumberland, (ENG), the mother of Mr J PERCY of this city."