Author Topic: What is this please  (Read 5945 times)

Offline littlemak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What is this please
« on: Friday 06 February 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me to find out what this medal is all about? It has a Kings Royal Rifle Corps insignia on the front and a man throwing a discus on the back it was among my Grandfathers effects when he died.
I am sure it was not his as he was in the Essex Regiment, but my Great Uncle was in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in the first world war.
Any ideas ?
Many thanks in advance
Carol
Essex,U.K -Burton, Horsnell, Makaruk, Pennock
Suffolk, U.K -Crane, King, Argent, Bailey, Hickford, Webb
Cambridgeshire, UK- Argent
Yorkshire UK - , Argent
Poland- Makaruk
Ukraine - Makaruk or Makapyk

Unknown area- Lindsell

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: What is this please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, to be honest I think it could be some kind of regimental sporting medal, I have a couple of R.A.F ones, one bronze and one silver.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 15 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Images are not very well executed, particularly the discus chap who is poorly proportioned, which makes me wonder if it was not an official government type of award/medal? Does not help you odentify it though.

Offline littlemak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry my photos are not very clear, I am sure the front image is the correct badge for the regiment and yes I thought it was something sport related but none of my internet searches show any thing similar.
There is a mark on the rim which suggests it might have been designed to be worn with other medals on a ribbon.
Thank you for the replies so far.
Carol
Yorkshire UK - , Argent
Poland- Makaruk

Unknown area- Lindsell

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 February 15 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Speaking from a position of complete ignorance, could this be an unofficial medal akin to trench art knocked up for impromptue games in a rest area behind the trenches, and belonging to your great uncle?

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry my photos are not very clear, I am sure the front image is the correct badge for the regiment and yes I thought it was something sport related but none of my internet searches show any thing similar.
There is a mark on the rim which suggests it might have been designed to be worn with other medals on a ribbon.
Thank you for the replies so far.
Carol

Sorry Carol, I was referring to the way the images on the medal were drawn and cast, rather than your photographs.

Offline littlemak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I suppose it could be Robert I really do not know its just something that was kept with my Granddads Boer war medals and his Bell medal for small bore rifle shooting.
Ruskie I knew you were referring to the images on the medal but still my images are not very clear :)
Yorkshire UK - , Argent
Poland- Makaruk

Unknown area- Lindsell

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 February 15 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I think robbo43 may be on the right track.  When you play around with the image exposure etc. it does look a tad jerry made, pardon the pun!  Yes i would go with trench art. 
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 February 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Speaking from a position of complete ignorance, could this be an unofficial medal akin to trench art knocked up for impromptue games in a rest area behind the trenches, and belonging to your great uncle?

Robert

This sounds quite likely ...