Author Topic: Calderdale Records  (Read 4162 times)

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: Calderdale Records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I've found a few accounts of the Trial and one states 'Job Hey, 40 a Waterman'. Did you notice his occupation on the Baptisms?  His marriage showed 'Woolen Spinner'. I don't know when he was born either.

The other however, states that 'Job Hey has a wife and seven children', which he did.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Leave it with me Eric --- I didn't notice an occupation in the baptism records, but I will re-check. Annoyingly I didn't see an age in any of the newspaper reports either--- for any of those 14 men.

I did notice one report saying they were all good looking men in their prime!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I'm getting a bit confused now. An article about two Quakers that visited their families states that Job was from Sowerby Bridge!
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 16:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism of a Job Haigh 4/2/1770 at Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge -- son of Richard Haigh. This is a normal C of E.

I don't think your Job named a son, Richard though. If it's the same Job -- maybe he's fallen out with his father!

I will return to this -- promise -- but need to leave it now as domestic issues call!

Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Definitely no occupation shown for Job on the baptism records.

There did used to be records of prisoners called something like 'Calendar of Prisoners' or similar. (Sorry I cannot remember the proper name).

These tended to show details such as age, any previous convictions etc. Where these survive they are in the local county archives.

I am not sure whether 'York' has an 'archives' as such -- it might be worth checking with York Library or the Borthwick Institute.

I have just checked to see if a Sarah Hey married after 1813. There is a widowed Sarah Hey marrying in Dec 1818 at St John's Halifax -- but abode is shown as Heptonstall - so it may not be her.

The other thing worth checking (if they have survived) - are the Poor Law Guardians records for Greetland - if it was Job who was hanged -- Sarah would be left in dire financial straits and may have had to claim poor relief. (Having said that - there was major local support for the Luddites - so maybe the parishioners would have helped her out).

Interesting case!
Places of interest;

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Currently looking at 19th Century newspapers courtesy of my local library.
Noticed that with regard to James Hey, there was a James Haigh also hanged at York plus 12 others.
(Full transcript of trial and subsequent execution noted)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Interesting indeed.

The place he lived and the fact that he left a wife and 7 kids, coupled with his occupation when he married, as 'Woolen Spinner', make me fairly certain that he is the one. However, 'Waterman' as his occupation in the reports makes me wonder.

As far as I'm aware, his wife was a Widow in Skircoat Green in 1841. When one of his sons married in 1840, he gave his Father's occupation as 'Spinner'.

A lot to think about. Thanks again, Eric.

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 20:50 GMT (UK) »

The variations in the spelling of the name doesn't help. I'm assuming they are related-just spell their names differently.

Makes it harder to match their parents.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 February 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
I haven't seen the newspaper report which says that Job was a Waterman (those early 19th century papers are quite difficult to decipher sometimes).

However the Leeds Mercury of 16 Jan 1813 does give some detail and states about Job Hey;

'He is a Cotton Spinner and came to York from the House of Correction in Wakefield'.

So that report states he was in the Cotton trade.
In addition -- if he was initially in the House of Correction at Wakefield -- it might be worth contacting Wakefield Archives to see if they hold any records of admissions to the House of Correction - which may give details of his age.
Places of interest;