Author Topic: Finding ancestor from Prussia  (Read 5778 times)

Offline reesie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding ancestor from Prussia
« on: Friday 13 February 15 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I have details of this ancestor, Georg Ludewig Haupt and Sophie Regine Voss having a child, Johann Friedrich Haupt and him being baptised in Berlin in 1834.  Sophie died in 1835 and Georg emigrated to England where our side of the family started.  I can find a Sophie Regine Voss born in Walkow, (now Poland) in 1812, but no record of Georg Ludewig.  Can someone advise me how to proceed, please?  We think he was born around 1806?  I thought I might get more information by tracing Johann Friedrich, but I haven't found anything on him either.

I have read that the first name would have been a saint's name and the second name the Rufname.  The baptism was in the evangelische Berliner Dom, so would that have been true for non Catholics?

Georg and his new wife and 2 children don't appear on the census records in London in 1841, though his son is there later and lived a long life. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
Re: Finding ancestor from Prussia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 February 15 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am Protestant (evangelisch) and not informed about Catholic rules, since almost all of my ancestors had been Protestant.

Rufnamen are: Georg, Sophie & Friedrich

In most cases the first name Johann is the "saint's" name, standing for Johannes / John the Apostle and it was given to almost all Protestant boys and a lot of girls (Anna / Johanna).
In fact there are no saints in Protestant church, but Johannes "was loved by Jesus".

Georg Ludewig might be baptized Johann Georg Ludewig.

Are you sure about Walkow?

Berlin in GenWiki:
http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/GOV:Adm_369110

Good luck
Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 February 15 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Berlin address book

Allgemeiner Wohnungsanzeiger für Berlin und dessen nächste Umgebungen mit Einschluß von Charlottenburg : auf das Jahr 1834

Haupt
http://digital.zlb.de/viewer/image/18979459_1834/271/#topDocAnchor
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline reesie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 15 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't understand.  I have some German, but I don't know what I'm looking for in the links you sent.  I can't see Georg Ludewig Haupt in the register for Berlin, but the one Georg Ludwig Haupt I've found in Preussen, who had a child with Sophie Regine Voss had him baptised in Berliner Dom on 23 November 1834.  Wouldn't they have had to live in the area for thier child to be baptised there?

We are stuck as we can't find anything for George Ludewig Haupt's birth - only a record in the Marriage register in St Matthew's Bethnal Green in London and the births of his 2 children with Elizabeth Reed, whom he married in December 1815.

They might not even be the same man.   Any ideas on how I can find out more info?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 March 15 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Georg and his new wife and 2 children don't appear on the census records in London in 1841

Oh yes they do..in Albion Street HO107/694/4  folio 12 page 17

George Haupt 35 sugar baker from Foreign Parts
Elizabeth 25 out of county
George 5 in county
Edward (sic) 1 in county

If you are looking on Ancestry, search for Slaupt
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 March 15 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Shaun ... just added that entry to my Sugarbakers database

... and reesie, already on my database at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugarhha.html are two more Haupt sugarbakers ...

Henry Haupt, 30, foreign, Williams Place Bent St, Liverpool 1841 HO107/ 559/ 16/ 11
and a much later Alfred Herbert Haupt at Lyle's or Tate's in Silvertown in 1911.

Have you thought of the Anglo-German Family History Society www.agfhs.org ? May well be some help available there.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline reesie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 March 15 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.  Firstly I would never have thought of looking for Slaupt, but I can kind of understand why this mistake was made when looking at the handwriting.  Now I need to try to find what happened to George Ludewig Haupt.  I just wish I could find out more about him, who his parents were etc.  Thanks also for the tips given. 

It looks like there were lots of German sugar bakers.  Did they come over as already skilled workers, or was it a way of getting a labourer job.  Wondering if he would have been a sugar baker in Germany before coming to london?

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
A small proportion of skilled sugarbakers arrived in the UK to initially get the industry off the ground (16th-18thC), and later (18th-19thC) to run sugarhouses for the owners, many of whom were simply investors.
The great majority of migrant sugarbakers were labourers, often leaving areas with little employment for ag labs or avoiding service in the army.
Some came simply as labourers looking for work, whilst others were recruited from German villages for specific sugarhouses. There were also good lines of communication by which relatives already working here could inform younger family members and village friends that work was available.

Until later in the 19thC, the only skilled men in a sugarhouse were the boiler (who usually ran the place) and the bookkeeper ... and just one boiler might require 2 or 3 dozen labourers.

I would suspect that George, particularly if he came from rural Germany or further east, would have been a labourer.

For further reading regarding migration to UK look at ...

Panayi at  www.mawer.clara.net/ppanayi.html

... and for a great read about working conditions look at ...

Greenwood at  www.mawer.clara.net/greenwood.html

Been looking at Alien Arrivals on A**y, but nothing, though there is a record of a Georg Haupt comb maker and wife returning from New York in 1843 after 2yrs away.
Also from A**y - Central Criminal Court - George Haupt, 48, imprisoned for 1 month for 'larceny by servant', 5 Apr 1847.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sugarbakers,

did you check Gotha for Herman Almeroth?

Regards
Rudolf