Author Topic: Germany Genealogy question - Great uncle Sammy Hechter  (Read 4042 times)

Offline lbzh12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Germany Genealogy question
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 March 15 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Based on research conducted by fellow researchers including JustinL Sami Hechter was listed at Alfredstrasse 35 for many years up until 1949. From 1950, the entry at the same address was for Martha Hechter his wife. She is listed there until 1966. From 1967 onwards, there are only telephone books, and Martha does not appear to have had a telephone.

Based on the above it would seem that Sami may have died around 1949, which agrees somewhat with what I heard from a relative and Martha his wife may have died at the earliest in 1966.

I would like to move forward with this as I think I have exhausted all resources from the German address book and phone books.

What about German death records. Would they encompass the periods 1949 or 1966? How would I be able to search for them or obtain them?

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 March 15 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

as a relative you are allowed to ask for all certificates until March 2015. But you have to add a proof that Sammy/Sanni is your granduncle. Simple copies of certificates without signature are cheaper, you have to order "unbeglaubigte Kopien".

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Hamburg_Standesamt_Generalregister
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DEU-HAMBURG/2006-12/1166208111

How did Sammy/Sanni survive the war? Two of my relatives had been sent to KZ/Ghetto Theresienstadt. The brother of my grandfather was married to a so called "half-jew". He refused to agree to a divorce, but his wife was sent to the KZ. Only the still existing marriage prevented my grandaunt from death or murder. -

You might ask at the Hamburg archives, if they have paperwork on the time between 1938 and 1945 and the above dates of death. 

As a free city Hamburg has its own state's archive:
http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Staatsarchiv_Hamburg

Best regards
Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline lbzh12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I will contact the archives.

Thanks!!!