Author Topic: Records Lost During WW2. Also - First Cousins Marrying.  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records Lost During WW2. Also - First Cousins Marrying.
« on: Wednesday 18 February 15 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Not quite sure where to ask these questions but will try here..........

Are some of the London and Middlesex Parish Records missing because of the WW2 bombing, fires etc? I realise the B.T.'s are there for some of England's Parish Records but would be interested to know if there is a total gap in some of the above areas.

Why did the Established Church in England allow First Cousins to marry? ( I have some in my families doing just that.) Were other second, third etc. cousins allowed to marry? I believe that in-breeding was the problem but that it does that not affect First Cousins.

I would really appreciate someone putting me right on all this as I have been asked this by a another researcher and what I took for granted now seems to need a correct explanation!

Grateful for anyone's help.

Faith

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records Lost During WW2. Also - First Cousins Marrying.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the relevant page on London Metropolitan Archives
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/family-history/Pages/default.aspx

and downloading Information Leaflet No 1, it says:

Also due to reasons such as bombing during WW2 and other events outside our control, some parishes do not have a complete set of records.

PR's up to 1920 are usually available on Ancestry.
Anything after that will be on microfilm, and can be viewed at LMA.

There are many threads on RoootsChat regarding cousins marrying.
A Wikipedia article states:
England maintained a small proportion of cousin marriages for centuries, with proportions in 1875 estimated by George Darwin at 3.5 percent for the middle classes and 4.5 percent for the nobility, though this had declined to under 1 percent in the 20th century. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were a preeminent example.

King Henry VIII declared cousin marriage to be legal.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 15 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad, I'll follow all that through. Faith.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
My grandparents were first cousins,they loved each other,it certainly wasn't a case of inbreeding.
They were the children of 2 brothers,in fact the 2 nearest to each other in age ,from a large family.

My dad (their son) and I are both perfectly normal  ;)

;D ;D ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 February 15 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol18353

I've been into Wikipedia etc on Google and there I found some interesting results. North America has a lot of States ( good map identifies them) which ban first cousins marrying etc but other countries are more lenient. Once again, inherited medical defects seem to be the problem but it does not seem a big issue.
It seems that women over 40 yrs. tend to be more at risk having a baby with a minor medical problem.

So thank you for your time and message. I appreciate it. Faith.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 February 15 07:54 GMT (UK) »
snip

Why did the Established Church in England allow First Cousins to marry? ( I have some in my families doing just that.) Were other second, third etc. cousins allowed to marry? I believe that in-breeding was the problem but that it does that not affect First Cousins.

I would really appreciate someone putting me right on all this as I have been asked this by a another researcher and what I took for granted now seems to need a correct explanation!

Grateful for anyone's help.

Faith

Why should the Church ban First Cousin marriages there is no genetic reason to ban such marriages. Most countries of the world allow first cousin marriages some Middle Eastern countries, have exceedingly high rates of marriage to first cousins.

Yes it could be argued that the incidence of birth defects doubles in First Cousin marriages but that figure is still tiny. In non related marriages the incidence of birth defects is about 2 percent in First Cousin marriages the incidence is around 4 percent i.e it has gone from 2 birth defects per hundred births to 4 birth defects per hundred births.
There is a significantly higher risk of serious  birth defects in babies whose mother smokes during pregnancy than from first cousin marriages.

It should also be borne in mind that benefits can be produced by inbreeding in the same way as defects can.

Regarding the CoE specifically, Henry VIII the monarch who separated the CoE from the Catholic religion decreed that cousin marriages were legal.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 February 15 08:19 GMT (UK) »
snip

Faith

It should also be borne in mind that benefits can be produced by inbreeding in the same way as defects can.

Regarding the CoE specifically, Henry VIII the monarch who separated the CoE from the Catholic religion decreed that cousin marriages were legal.

Cheers
Guy
God Bless Henry VIII .......... I am the son of a first cousin marriage and at 87 there's nothing strange about me .......... I think. :o :o
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 February 15 09:01 GMT (UK) »
God Bless Henry VIII .......... I am the son of a first cousin marriage and at 87 there's nothing strange about me .......... I think. :o :o
Joe

Agh, so Joe, you are a Spring Chicken .... I have elderly rellies who are first cousins and are married to each other. There's nought strange about their children, or their children's children or the several later generations either.   He was born 1910 and she was born 1915.    Of course, like Joe, they live in Australia  ;D so I think it must be in the water !  ;D  ;D  ;D.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 February 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
My grandparents and dad lived in London- the water there was hardly anything to write home about and as I said before,we're all fine..........it's the rest of em  8)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk