Author Topic: Jacksons of Windrush  (Read 24475 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jacksons of Windrush
« Reply #45 on: Friday 23 June 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Duport
I haven't come across a Maria b. 1763. Can you give me her bapt. details?

My source was the LDS website, ( https://familysearch.org ) : "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPVV-P7Q : 30 December 2014), Maria Jackson, Maria Jackson; citing WINDRUSH,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 427,808, 855,683.

Name    Maria Jackson
Gender    Female
Christening Date    22 Aug 1763
Christening Date (Original)    22 AUG 1763
Christening Place    WINDRUSH,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name    Thos Jackson
Mother's Name    Eliz

I'm sorry, this Maria would have thus been Anthony's eldest sister, not aunt, my mistake!!
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 23 June 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
Re - Richard Jackson of the 56th Foot
Although he was born in Aldsworth around 1776 I can't see a birth record linking him as a child of Adam and Elizabeth (though I've just begun checking sources!).

The military connection is fascinating, the 56th (West Essex) Regiment of Foot suffered greatly in the West Indies campaign of 1794-97 and had to be re-raised, serving at the Helder under the "Grand Old" Duke of York 1799 and then later in India. Assumedly Richard was involved during these years.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 23 June 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
Checked first with Gloucestershirebdm - looking for a marriage around 1839/40 for a Richard JACKSON - and this lead to a marriage in 1841 which is transcribed on Ancestry.

Richard Jackson (Widower) residence : Rodmarten - married Esther Mackbridge at St Mary The Virigin in 14 May 1841 - and he gives his father as Adam JACKSON - labourer..

Where this couple are living 1841 and 1851 census (previous reply, along with details of his first marriage

---

So Adam JACKSONS married in 1772 by Licence (probably because he hadn't lived in the area long enough to have banns read) - his witness was John WELLS a labourer from Rendcombe.

Richard was born c1776

---

Just found on Ancestry - by going through the actual Register, page by page

so far Baptisms of

Elizabeth JACKSON - 13 February 1774 at Aldsworth: parents: Adam & Eliza
Eliz JACKSON - 3 Sept 1791 - at Aldsworth dau of Adam & Eliza JACKSON  ** burial probably

Ann JACKSON - 29 January 1775 - at Aldsworth: parents: Adam & Elizabeth

John JACKSONS - 24 May 1778 - at Aldsworth: parents: Adam & Betty

*William JACKSONS - 19 April 1789 at Aldsworth: parents: Adam & Eliz JACKSONS - pauper

James 23 February 1794 - at Aldsworth : son of Adam & Elizabeth JACKSONS*
Adam 13 December 1795 - at Aldsworth: son of Adam & Elizabeth JACKSONS*

March 22 1807: Wm Son of Rich & Sarah JACKSON

Children could be baptised even as teenagers etc - have seen these late baptisms before and the register isn't always in order - entries can be made anywhere in the book!

Careful reading of these entries could also mean burials - e.g. wasn't sure whether William was a burial

Blank pages : then a burial of Susannah JACKSON - 30 October 1778

burial of Robert JACKSON - 14 March 1773

burial of Ann JACKSON - 6 October 1775

Most of the parents seem Paupers and lots of children being buried

---

The register checked was from 1771 to 1812

there are two other books on Ancestry from 1571-1749 and 1683 to 1770 for Aldsworth - perhaps more entries for JACKSON(S) in there.

----

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 24 June 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
Capetown, I'm incredibly grateful for all your help - thank you so much for checking through the individual pages!

I notice FindMyPast has a burial record for Adam in 1827, stating his age as 73, which suggests a birth around 1754. If that's the case he would have been only 18 if he married Elizabeth Rachley/Rackley in 1772, not 21 as claimed in the Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations etc.

The burial record for Elizabeth listed on FindMyPast: 24th Nov 1837 (St Bartholomew, Aldsworth), states her age as 82 (born 1755), which would have made her just 17 in 1772! Either some miscalculaton going on, or they lied about their ages.

I've not yet found any other Jackson or Rackley with connections to Upton St.Leonards yet, but still looking....

Clearly however, it seems the Windrush Jacksons and those of my family were entirely separate, at least in the mid-1700's.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 24 June 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Checked first with Gloucestershirebdm - looking for a marriage around 1839/40 for a Richard JACKSON - and this lead to a marriage in 1841 which is transcribed on Ancestry.

Richard Jackson (Widower) residence : Rodmarten - married Esther Mackbridge at St Mary The Virigin in 14 May 1841 - and he gives his father as Adam JACKSON - labourer..

Where this couple are living 1841 and 1851 census (previous reply, along with details of his first marriage

---

So Adam JACKSONS married in 1772 by Licence (probably because he hadn't lived in the area long enough to have banns read) - his witness was John WELLS a labourer from Rendcombe.

Richard was born c1776

---

Just found on Ancestry - by going through the actual Register, page by page

so far Baptisms of

Elizabeth JACKSON - 13 February 1774 at Aldsworth: parents: Adam & Eliza
Eliz JACKSON - 3 Sept 1791 - at Aldsworth dau of Adam & Eliza JACKSON  ** burial probably

Ann JACKSON - 29 January 1775 - at Aldsworth: parents: Adam & Elizabeth

John JACKSONS - 24 May 1778 - at Aldsworth: parents: Adam & Betty

*William JACKSONS - 19 April 1789 at Aldsworth: parents: Adam & Eliz JACKSONS - pauper

James 23 February 1794 - at Aldsworth : son of Adam & Elizabeth JACKSONS*
Adam 13 December 1795 - at Aldsworth: son of Adam & Elizabeth JACKSONS*

March 22 1807: Wm Son of Rich & Sarah JACKSON

Children could be baptised even as teenagers etc - have seen these late baptisms before and the register isn't always in order - entries can be made anywhere in the book!

Careful reading of these entries could also mean burials - e.g. wasn't sure whether William was a burial

Blank pages : then a burial of Susannah JACKSON - 30 October 1778

burial of Robert JACKSON - 14 March 1773

burial of Ann JACKSON - 6 October 1775

Most of the parents seem Paupers and lots of children being buried

---

The register checked was from 1771 to 1812

there are two other books on Ancestry from 1571-1749 and 1683 to 1770 for Aldsworth - perhaps more entries for JACKSON(S) in there.

----

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 24 June 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
It is often both extremely useful and interesting to read the registers and gives a feel of the community (and handwriting).

Many burials in Aldsworth - around 1700's list the people being buried in Woolling and has one page in 1770 listing the cost of the people's burials in L.S.D. - some costing £57 7s 6d and others £1.00
Also entries such a burial December 1739 - A stranger dying of extremity.

The earlier register has another burial of

Charles JACKSON - was buried in Woolling - 15 July 1752 - can't see any earlier marriages or baptisms of JACKSONS.

So earliest entries are:

Burials

Charles JACKSON - 15 July 1752

Robert JACKSON - 14 March 1773  (this is when Adam/Eliza start having children christened) **

Ann JACKSON - 6 October 1775  (this could be the daughter of Adam)

Susannah JACKSON - 30 October 1778  **

***  Susannah JACKSON - christened 11 May 1777, parents: Adam & Elizabeth

(unfortunately as per norm - no ages given)

---

Agricultural labourers moved from area to area depending on 'crops/harvesting' etc - sometimes moving into other Counties - i.e. Wiltshire.

---

??

Forest of Dean forum does have in their Marriage Bonds etc Section

Robert JACKSON - (Widower) Sandhurst

marrying

Elizabeth BENNETT - (Widow) residence: Pendock

by Licence:  27 February 1731
Transcriber's Notes: Old style date 1730/1

---

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 24 June 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
These suggest varied potential origins for my Jackson/Jacksons line, as you say, they may very well have drifted from place to place as itinerant labourers. If this is the correct marriage (I say 'if' as I still have a touch of doubt due to the fair distance of Upton St.Leonards from Aldsworth and the unusually young age of Adam & Eliza at marriage) ... the couple may have been the first from their families to settle in Aldsworth, which complicates research!

I can't find any mention of a place called 'Woolling' in the area though.

Many thanks for looking into the parish documents - yes I always take advantage of Ancestry's 'open' days to access the original records when I can, but for the rest of the time am limited to the standard subscription.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 24 June 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Buried in Wooling - means they were clothed in Woollen when they were buried - this is mentioned over decades in the records.

Up until the 1929 Marriage Act, Girls could marry at 12 and Boys at 14 .  My x Grandmother (christened 23 November 1810) married in Maisey Hampton, Glos in 3 May  1824 was just about 13/14 years old and first child christened 14 November 1824. Aged 30 . 1841 census - Died in 1868 aged 59.

http://www.marriagerecords.me.uk

Click on the left

iv.  Marriage Act 1929.

On the same website regarding the 1753 Marriage Act.....  goes onto say, couples who needed parental consent - got away with this by marrying in other Parishes etc.  Stopping the parents hearing the Banns.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 24 June 17 23:30 BST (UK) »
On the same website regarding the 1753 Marriage Act.....  goes onto say, couples who needed parental consent - got away with this by marrying in other Parishes etc.  Stopping the parents hearing the Banns.
So it's possible Adam and Elizabeth deliberately married in Upton (a parish they had no apparent connection to) in order to avoid parental interference?

What about the limitations of moving around (removal orders etc)? - would the local parish have not objected?