Author Topic: Wallace Robert Temple Picton-Warlow and Isobel  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wallace Robert Temple Picton-Warlow and Isobel
« on: Saturday 21 February 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I seem to only be posting tall asks at the moment but am hoping for some assistance please...

I am looking for the marriage of Wallace Robert Temple Picton-Warlow to Isobel whose surname is unknown.

Wallace was born in 1904 in Hatton, Ceylon to Robert Picton-Warlow and Hilda Charlotte Craven.  As yet I haven't located a birth record for him so just maybe...

There had been no mention of a marriage for Wallace until I located a travel record for him and his wife Isobel to Colombo, Sri Lanka in 1954.

Wallace was in the Royal Army Service Corps and was awarded Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in 1945.

This is really the extent of what I have on Wallace and I do know it isnt much BUT hope springs eternal.

In eager anticipation.

Westy11

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace Robert Temple Picton-Warlow and Isobel
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
According to The Times ( August 8th 1929), they were married on August 3rd 1929 at St Michael's, Dulas, Herefordshire.

Isobel's maiden name was Jackson. She was the youngest daughter of Mr & Mrs Ernest Jackson of Dulas Court
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Wallace R T P Warlow and Isobel Jackson
3Q 1929, Hereford RD Vol 6a Page 1351.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
His birth date was 6 October 1904 per the passenger manifest of the City of Port Elizabeth arrived London 11 July 1957.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 February 15 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Shaun J

Many thanks for your info.  Just brilliant,

Westy11

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Not part of what you are looking for, but the name Picton-Warlow caught my eye because I am currently indulging in a bit of headscratching about one of that name.

Anne Isabella Mackenzie married Edward Picton Baumgarten, other name Edward Picton Warlow, in London in 1860. Edward was born in 1830/3, and served in the Army. Most of the children were born in India. As a very young Cornet, he was the victim of bullying while serving in Australia. In the census he uses Baumgarten. In 1891 he says he was born in Cheltenham (at least I think it's Cheltenham - it looks like Chillenham), in 1901 he says Cheltenham and in 1911 he says he was born in Bognor. He died in 1913, death registered as Baumgarten, and FamilySearch says he was born as Warlow in Pembrokeshire - twice! once on 24 November 1830, and again on 20 November 1831 - and died on 21 October 1913 as Warlow.

Have you come across this Edward, and do you know why he had two surnames?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Firstly I haven't heard of Edward Picton Baumgarten.  I looked on FindMyPast to see if there was marriage certificate that may have given a lead into his parents.  There is no actual certificate and only a transcription which incidentally gives the location of marriage as HONITON, Devon.

In relation to the names there could be a number of reasons.  Confusion around names was an issue for me when I first started researching the line of Picton Warlow and the related lines of Craven and Picton Tubervill etc. I have found that the usual reason seems to be one related to inheritance. 

Case in point and in this instance there were 2 changes of name as follows.

10 Feb 1842 - Goodwin Charles Colquitt assumed the name of Goodwin Charles Goodwin.  Then "Whitehall, December 12, I860.

The Queen has been pleased to grant unto Goodwin-Charles Goodwin, of Brockhampton Park, in the parish Sevenhampton, in the county of Gloucester, Esquire, in the Commission of the Peace for the said county, late a Captain in the 5th Regiment of Dragoon Guards, and Georgina Maria, his wife, only daughter of Fulwar Craven, late of Brockhampton Park aforesaid, Esquire deceased, Her Royal license and authority, that they may (in compliance with a proviso contained in the last will and testament of the said Fulwar Craven), henceforth assume and take the surname of Craven only, and that the said Goodwin Charles Goodwin, may bear the arms of Craven and that the said surname and arms of Craven may in the like manner be taken, borne, and used  by the issue of their said marriage such arms being first duly exemplified according to the laws of arms, and recorded in the Herald's Office otherwise, the said Royal license and permission to be void and of none effect: And also to command that the said Royal concession and declaration be registered in Her Majesty's College of Arms."

This may be a reason why the changed names - perhaps check the Gazette?   No matter what it creates a challenge as people have then assumed the double barrel names and I am no expert on it at all.

Mocavo have a bit of information on him http://tinyurl.com/mfqo5xz

I then checked out Welsh Newspapers Online and came across some articles related to Edward
http://tinyurl.com/luqm272 - this relates to his treatment by his fellow officers not in Australia but in Canterbury
http://tinyurl.com/qygozru - same topic but different article
http://tinyurl.com/lwwro8u - different topic but one in which both name variations mentioned

Nonetheless when I have been stumped I have posted my question to RootsChat Forum and with the wonderful Chatters, a number of seemingly brickwalls have come tumbling down.  Today was one of those.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Attached also is a snippet I located which may be of some small assistance.

Westy11

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I came across some newspaper articles on the couples marriage which at least gave the fathers details. I feel you will already have the information but nonetheless it is attached if required. :-\

Westy11

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
Fascinating, thank you. I am guilty of assuming that because I found the bullying incident in an Australian paper, it actually ttok place in Australia.

Interesting that he used both names at least until his marriage in 1860.

My interest is sparked because Edward's daughter Mary Florence Mabel Baumgarten married a distant relative of mine, Cleland Mackenzie Reddie, who was ten years her junior. I am also puzzled by the wording of Cleland's  grant of probate:

Reddie Cleland Mackenzie otherwise Cleland McKenzie of St Andrews Hospital Northampton died 17 July 1956. Probate London 2 February 1959 to Phyllis Ommaney single woman By order on Summons date 13 April 1959 Charles Edward Picton Warlow chartered secretary appointed additional administrator. Effects £36,124 13s 9d. By Decree dated 30 October 1958.

I have no idea who Phyllis Ommaney is/was, or what are the implications of the appointment of an 'additional administrator'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.