Author Topic: Joseph & Ellen Doherty Derry  (Read 2521 times)

Offline derrygurldoherty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph & Ellen Doherty Derry
« on: Sunday 22 February 15 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I'm hoping for some help  :)

I'm looking for Joseph and Ellen Doherty. Ellen was born c1869 in Co Donegal according to the 1901 census and Joseph was born in Derry c1865. Their birth years were listed as 1857 (Joseph) and 1858 (Ellen) in the 1911 census and they appeared to be loving at 15 Victoria St Derry. They had 1 son Jack who was born 1894. The 1911 census shows they were married 20 yrs that point and having had 5 children with only 1 surviving. I'm unable to find a marriage and as a result I have no maiden name to get Jacks birth cert. Any help at all would be great.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph & Ellen Doherty Derry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 February 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Just posting the census links for others reading your post:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/No__3_Urban/Victoria_Street/1530088/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_No__3_Urban/Victoria_Street/600537/

A possibility are Joseph Doherty and Ellen Friel who got married in Londonderry on Christmas Day 1889.

GRONI online has a birth registered in Londonderry District for a John Doherty, born 6 June 1894, mother's maiden name "Thiel", I wonder if mistranscribed?

Edited to add: Caution though, Doherty and Friel are common names. Maybe fresh eyes can find something for you.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 February 15 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The marriage which Gaffy found took place in Londonderry Roman Catholic Church which I think may be the Long Tower Church.

Regard
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »

A possibility are Joseph Doherty and Ellen Friel who got married in Londonderry on Christmas Day 1889.

GRONI online has a birth registered in Londonderry District for a John Doherty, born 6 June 1894, mother's maiden name "Thiel", I wonder if mistranscribed?

Confirmed, I've seen the birth record and these are definitely the correct parents, you can also view their 1889 marriage record via GRONI online (currently £2 to view the full record, including digitised image of the relevant bit of the original):

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Offline derrygurldoherty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
This has opened up one of my lines I was having great difficulty with. Have found more children as well now I have the maiden name. Thank you so much! SOLVED :)