Author Topic: looking for any info on grandfather Russell Denson born 1913  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for any info on grandfather Russell Denson born 1913
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 March 15 11:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 March 15 14:59 GMT (UK) »
If, as sounds likely, the query referred to by MaureeninNY is indeed your father, then it seems he does have more knowledge than you appear to know.

It would seem, therefore, that Denson was Russell's stepfathers surname and not the 'adopted' name at all.

His mother is Eunice Christine Cason birth reg'd Mar.qtr.1888 Leicester.  By 1911 (not allowed to post details) she appears to be working in Brighton, Sussex.

Her children referred to in the 'query' appear to have been fathered by a Charles Alfred Russell Lepage/Lepage but they were not married.   On 6/1/1919 at Christchurch, Brixton, London Eunice Christine Cason 30, spinster, dau. of Henry, married Reginald Denson 33 (of Calgary, Alberta).

I can see, so far, 2 likely births:

Zoe Le Page birth reg'd Sept.qtr.1911 Steyning, Sussex - mother maiden name Cason.
Russell Lepage birth reg'd Sept.1912, Brighton, Sussex - mother maiden name Cason.

So a) Russell was actually a year older than thought being born 1912 not 1913, b) possible sister born the previous year, both born with surname of Lepage/Le Page and the subsequent surname for Russell of Denson was actually from his stepfather and not the family with whom he is said to have been adopted.  Unfortunately, no formal adoptions were recorded until 1927.

From a quick search of records, I can find nothing at all for a Charles Alfred Russell LePage, in births, census and can find no WW1 death for him either so who exactly was he?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 March 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I can't seem to spot any of them in the 1921 census. >:(

Could be a red herring but I wonder if this is another son's birth:
Births Dec 1913 
RUSSELL    Charles A   mmn CASON in Wandsworth.

Maureen

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 March 15 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Great research Annette.   ;)  Haven't come across a Charles Alfred Russell LePage - Casualty of WW1

There was a Canadian death for a LePage in 1916 but he turned out to be Private W (Wilfred) LePage - 17 August 1916.

The same poster as Maureen found above, joined this discussion

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=354&p=surnames.cason

Found a Charles A LePage on the Canadian 1901 Census born 18 March 1889 Quebec- signed Canadian Attestation Papers 24 November 1916 - not sure what the "A" initial was for.

Apart from France or the Channel Islands - Quebec would seem an alternative place for someone with the Le Page surname.

Sorry not finding them in 1921  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 March 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Canadian Passenger List - Mr Reg Denson - born 1885 and aged 35 years - London to St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada arriving 21 Jan 1920 Scotian. Had been in Calgary previously for 7 years. Going to Alta. Also travelling Mrs Enice aged 31 years - Charles aged 7 years and Alfred aged 5 years.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 March 15 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Eunice Denson on FIND A GRAVE

Burial: Burnsland Cemetery  Calgary Calgary Census Division Alberta, Canada
Plot: Section H

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=135954355&ref=acom

Sandra

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 March 15 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Lethbridge Herald
Tuesday, August 7, 1928, Lethbridge, Alberta

Just has a mention with a long list of Grade 8 students recommended to Grade 9...including DENSON,Alfred Charles and DENSON,Russell.

Maureen

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
A very likely candidate for the Father of "Russell Lepage birth reg'd Sept.1912, Brighton, Sussex - mother maiden name Cason" appears in the 1911 Census living at 55 Stanford Road, Brighton.  Recorded as Charles Alfred Page/Divorced/Age 37/b. Brighton, Sussex/Professor of Violin, living with his Widowed mother [RG14PN5156 RG78PN228 RD80 SD1 ED4 SN32]

The evidence is provided by the marriage of Charles Alfred LePage (Age 26/Bachelor/Professor of Music) to Adela Margaret Goyder in Kensington 27 Dec 1899.  At the time Charles Alfred LePage stated his residence at the time of marriage as 55 Stanford Road, Brighton with his father being Charles R LePage.

I would suggest that following a separation/divorce from his 1899 wife, he returned to the family home in Brighton where he met Eunice Christine Cason (a 1911 census resident of Brighton).  The outcome of which was the birth of Russel LePage in 1912.

The Page family were also recorded in the 1901 census at the same address (Without Charles Alfred).

Edit: Adela Margaret LePage (petitioner) was divorced from Charles Alfred LePage (Respondent) 26 Apr 1909.  The grounds stated as "Adultery coupled with cruelty towards the petitioner".