Author Topic: Help identifying WW2 soldier's uniform (and identity)  (Read 1881 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Help identifying WW2 soldier's uniform (and identity)
« on: Wednesday 25 February 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi fellow rootschatters, I wonder if anyone can help me identify the uniform in the picture (I have deleted the face for privacy reasons).

A relative says it might be a photo of my grandfather, who I know was a Radio technician in the US Army and was stationed at the 110th US Army Hospital in Ullenwood Park, near Cheltenham, UK, during WWII. The unit left Cheltenham in early 1945 for Gourock (Scotland) via London before making their way back to New York on the Queen Mary.

I have other, blurry photos of my grandfather in a very different uniform, which leads me to doubt the identity of the sitter in this photo. Can anyone offer any clues?
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying WW2 soldier's uniform (and identity)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

As soon as I saw the cap badge the flame made me think "Italian". So  I looked up Italian cap badges ww11 and Italian collar insignia ww11 (images) and to my mind there certainly is a match. The cap badge being artillery.  All the more interesting eh?

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 February 15 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, looks Italian to me, certainly not American.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 February 15 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I think I have seen something along the lines for a Belgian artillery badge as well, but yes Italian is a good call.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 February 15 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Definitely Italian Royal Army. Probably Artillery.

"http://custermen.com/ItalyWW2/ArmyOrg/ItalianOrg.htm" says :
"Each division and branch wore a unique colored collar patch. However, all collar patches had a small 5-pointed star attached which signified the unity of Italy."
Unfortunately it doesn't give the colour codes.

However also see the two caps, illustrated in the same item, for similar cap badges, one with the crossed swords and grenade flaming to the side as in your photo. Can you determine the number in the grenade on your original ?

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)