Author Topic: Who have you given up on :)  (Read 49936 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Who have you given up on :)
« on: Thursday 26 February 15 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I am about to give up on my old Fred Patrick after toooo many years without a real conclusion. Too many ifs ands and maybes.... Had oooooodles of help on here and really appreciated it all.  But just keep going round in circles - its a shame -but there you go.

So who have you given up on..?

xin

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: Who have you given up on :)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 15 08:23 GMT (UK) »
For now my 2 times great grandfather.  Before he came out to Australia, where I could pin him down he seemed to gallop all over Wales.  There are an awful lot of Owen Wiliams in Wales.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 February 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
My Irish. ::)
My very first post on rootschat was about these families and I know nothing more about them today than I did all those years ago....

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 February 15 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Some elusive scots .... guess they are having a good old giggle upstairs, at my detective work ;D  The old story, same names, births and places, but which one is the right one :D  If only these ones were given a middle name.  Will just be my luck they will pop up, when I am called upstairs :-\

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 February 15 09:05 GMT (UK) »
One of my first posts on RC was about my GGG-grandmother - I am no further ahead with her either.

Can't find her birth anywhere in the world, can't find her arriving in Australia,   (still don't know if she was married or single when she arrived - which doesn't help finding a birth.)

But one day . . . . . . . . . .  just maybe . . . . . . .

Wiggy       :D
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 February 15 09:08 GMT (UK) »
The question should be, "Who have I given up on for now?" The reason I say this is I had given up ever finding my great grandfather's name; my grandmother was born to a single 18 year old woman, and no father was named on the birth certificate. A fellow researcher happened across a single page document in the South Australian Archives that did name him. So the key is to never give up, only give up for now.......
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 February 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I want to say no-one as I am ever hopeful but Richard Blacksell b? died 1865 in Binnum Vic is one who eludes , not only myself, but others who have tried.

He is either Blackson, Blackstone , Blacksall or a variation or none of the above. I have everyone in Australia from him , and even linked a new name, John Blacksell convict Lincolnshire, to the same farm as Richard and his son. But I cant find any definite proof of his existence before 1820

As noted the Irish are difficult. Patrick Cronin seems to be a very common name
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 February 15 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Great Grandfather stepped out of nowhere to get married in 1867. I think the father he named was a fiction. He doesn't seem to be sure where he was born.
Sometimes I look at his photo and he stares back at me as if to say, "It's none of your business." (He was, according my grandfather, a very stern gentleman.)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 February 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I never give up!

There are plenty I have put on a back burner, so to speak, whilst I concentrate my efforts on others. But I never give up completely, but remain open to something coming up that brings with it that vital lead.  And, as I research others in the wider family that has been known to happen. Others of course, are still on that back burner 20 or so years later, but never given up on!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk