Author Topic: parish record query 'exhibited'  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Racheal Kibble

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
parish record query 'exhibited'
« on: Thursday 26 February 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
hi,
i came across something unusual in the Ranton parish (baptism) record for Thomas Talbot, 18 may 1730. underneath his name it says 'exhibited 20 july 21/ could be 29.

there is another instance of this on the following page also.

does anybody have any idea what 'exhibited' might mean?

thankyou
racheal
Hawksworth - West Yorkshire/ Norfolk/ Birmingham
Moreton- Cheshire/Salford

Denning/ Dinning- Devon/Somerset (around chard) and Staffordshire
Talbot- Chebsey/Gnosall, Staffordshire

Jones- Shropshire/Stafford
Bailey- Stafford

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: parish record query 'exhibited'
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 February 15 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I havent come across it before but maybe it means the same as received.

It could have been he was a poorly baby not expected to survive and was baptised quickly so that he would be entitled to burial in the churchyard if he did die I have seen notes that a child has been baptised at the parents home and then received into the church officially at a later date before now on registry entries

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
If there are no other examples in the register (or very few), it may indicate that this particular entry was produced for inspection ('exhibited'), because someone needed proof of the baptism.

ADDED - Sorry, you said there's another example on the next page. So another possibility is that these two pages of the register were produced for inspection when the bishop's representative visited the parish.

Offline Racheal Kibble

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 15 14:13 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your replies.

yes there was another 'exhibited' on the next page, that was under a girls name.
i asked at my local archives today, and they didnt know either :)

the child thomas talbot was 9th child of 12, so probably not an heir, which was suggested by somebody.

its a very strange one :)
racheal

Hawksworth - West Yorkshire/ Norfolk/ Birmingham
Moreton- Cheshire/Salford

Denning/ Dinning- Devon/Somerset (around chard) and Staffordshire
Talbot- Chebsey/Gnosall, Staffordshire

Jones- Shropshire/Stafford
Bailey- Stafford

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 15 15:38 GMT (UK) »
ADDED - Sorry, you said there's another example on the next page. So another possibility is that these two pages of the register were produced for inspection when the bishop's representative visited the parish.

I think this is more likely the case. Going through the Ranton register "Exhibited" appears in several places and just seems to mark the spot and the date for when the last inspection occurred. I don't think it is related in any way to the specific entry it is written under or beside.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley