Author Topic: Mental Health Problems  (Read 1672 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mental Health Problems
« on: Thursday 26 February 15 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Susan Rankin death certificate records that she married  Samuel Rankin, Labourer: Died at 9.20am on the 11 March 1915 at Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley. Address at time of death was 80 King Street, Govan, Glasgow  The cause of death was recorded as    Cerebral haemorrhage one month; Mania Melancholia plus another word I can’t decipher.  Was Hawkhead Asylum 1915 in  Paisley a hospital for patients with mental disabilities and did Susan die of a mental illness? http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx
In the Scottish 1911 census  they have had 9 children, 6 children are still alive the youngest was born in 1911. Although  she may have had some more children before she died which could have contributed to her death.
Susan’s older sister Matilda a spinster, died of cerebral haemorrhage in 1910 aged 47 at home on the death certificate she was 8 hours certified.  Her mother Margaret referred to Matilda in her will of 1899  ‘..that she had to be looked after and allow my daughter Matilda Stewart to live in the house and to have her support  clothing  ie during her natural life in return of such work she may do.  In case she cannot live with him then she is to get an allowance in lieu of her support and she may go and live with any of her sisters or other persons who may see their way to keep her’.  This seems to support my theory that Matilda may have had learning disabilities of some kind.  There was also a son who committed suicide at 25 in 1877. 
I would like to know if Susan had mental problems which would have been compounded by having so many children, she moved to Ireland after her marriage in 1896 to Govan, Scotland and was the youngest child of 9 so would not have had a lot of family support.

I suspect that a large number of people had mental health issues at that time, with poverty, few jobs, the outbreak of war and the number of children that were being born.  :(

Thanks for any information. Angela

Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Health Problems
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 February 15 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Cerebral haemorrhage is the cause of what people call a stroke.
Can't see how it would have anything to do with any mental illness.
People usually don't "die of a mental illness" - unless of course if it causes them to commit suicide.

Mania melancholia is what is now called bipolar disorder - one day the patient can be full of joy and hope and the next be in deep despair.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 15 07:45 GMT (UK) »
If you google Hawkhead Asylum you will get quite a lot of results. This might explain it for you:
http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9124

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 15 18:04 GMT (UK) »
another word I can’t decipher.

Why not post the relevant part of the certificate here so we can see what this might be?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.