Author Topic: Cooper, printer  (Read 2430 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cooper, printer
« on: Saturday 28 February 15 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Trying to locate any morsel of detail about the life of a J. Cooper for whom a printing was made in Newcastle under Lyme early in the  nineteenth century (a ballad entitled Waterloo Wedding - which gives us a clue, perhaps).

The only Cooper, printer, that I can find is F.W. who is listed in the 1841 census in Newcastle.

These details don't exactly tie up.

Can anyone shed light?
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper, printer
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh, yes.  I should've said: this is precisely where I began the enquiry.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 08:20 GMT (UK) »
John Cooper may not have been a printer as most of the works which was printed states
"Printed for John Cooper in Fleet-Street, 1739"

Regards

Malky

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Malky - the John Cooper you cite is listed in Fleet-street, London...and the ballad you refer to was printed in 1739.  My Cooper is from Newcastle-under-Lyme and his printing of Waterloo Wedding, which I noted, is unlikely to have been issued by someone plying his trade in the early eighteenth century.  Sorry.

roly

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
The one I listed is located in Newcastle under Lyme. If you look at the actual pages, it notes "Printed for J Cooper, Newcastle, Stafordshire, or J Cooper, Newcastle under Lyme. It may relate to the 19th centuary J Cooper as being the son or grandson of the 1739 noted one.

From http://ballads.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/search/location/Newcastle-under-Lyme

Regards

Malky

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Ah!  My copy was defective and didn't list Cooper in the way you discovered - for which much thanks.  Still - 'my' man can only be, as you suggest, a descendant (perfectly possible) or someone else altogether.

I'm still left, therefore, with the puzzle as to who 'J. Cooper' was, printer or no.  The fact that Waterloo Wedding and one or two other ballads with the Cooper imprimatur were issued at around 1815 is my best clue; but there don't seem to be any street directories to help and Cooper 'misses' the general censuses.

The phenomenon of a named 'printer' for whom a piece was printed is not unusual.  Armstrong, in Liverpool, was such a 'printer', issuing ballads between 1820 and 1824.

roly

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I Googled him and couldn't find anything else on him  :(
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
He's not listed in this 1828 trade directory..

http://www.thepotteries.org/trade_directory/pigots_1828_pott.htm