Author Topic: Gavin Black/ Mary Wotherspoon/ Jean Waddell  (Read 8667 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Black/ Mary Wotherspoon/ Jean Waddell
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 March 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes.

Robert Rankine and Jean Black were married in Cadder in 1766. There are no children listed. So it is possible that Robert died and Jean's second husband was Henry Taylor. All caveats as above.

One interesting thing I had overlooked before. The discharge described Jean as 'second daughter of Gavin Black'. Now, Gavin Black and Mary Wotherspoon had nine recorded children. I have seen and transcribed the baptisms of seven of them - still two to go.

We know from the Writs etc that their daughter Isobel married Gavin Wotherspoon about 1762. If Jean is described as Gavin and Mary's second daughter, can we reliably deduce that not only Jean b 1729, but also Helen b 1735 and Mary b 1746, all died in infancy?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 March 15 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian
Below are the death dates I’ve put into my tree for the children of Gavin Black and Mary Wotherspoon.  Some of the children will likely have died in infancy, but Jean  born 1729 might have been older.   If she had died in infancy Isobel or Mary might have been called Jean instead?  I don’t know.

Jean   before 1749
John    before 1756
Gavin after 1797-1798
Helen before 1767
James before 1778
Isobel  after 1766
Alexander before 1768
Mary   before 1767
Jean   after 1767

I’ve deduced Gavin’s death date from the Horse Tax Rolls.  Do you have a later date?
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 March 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Below are the death dates I’ve put into my tree for the children of Gavin Black and Mary Wotherspoon. 

Makes sense.

I’ve deduced Gavin’s death date from the Horse Tax Rolls.  Do you have a later date?
Yes. See the two abridgments below.

No 4425 1803-03-16 PR 30.229 Gavin Black sen of Rawyards seised Mar 14 1803 in a house and yard, stables and back houses in the Old Town of Airdrie with 5 ells of ground from the side wall of said house to the High Street, par East Monkland in security of £200 on bond and disp by Robert Hutchison, merchant, Airdrie Mar 14 1803.
No 5019 1806-03-21 PR 33.153 Gavin Black of Rawyards as heir to Gavin Black of Rawyards his father seised Mar 19 1806 in 1 Rood of land on the south side of the Town of Airdrie, par East Monkland on Pr Cl Con by William Waddell of Easter Moffat, Mar 18 1806.

That seems to constrain his date of death as between 16 March 1803 and 18 March 1806.

However he is not the one listed in the mortcloth receipts in August 1805, because that one was his 20-year-old grandson who, according to his parents' gravestone, died on 31 July 1805.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 March 15 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  That narrows it down.
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline cambus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Gavin Black, born 1704, Rawyards, New Monkland, was the son of John Black/ Jannet Black. It appears that he married twice. The first marriage was to Mary Wotherspoon, 1727. The OPR record states that John Waddell, Ryding, was a witness. This first marriage produced at least 10 children, the last one born 1749. He then apparently marrried again, to Jean Waddell. There are a number of researchers who claim that this marriage took place in 1756, but the only OPR record I could find stated 1752, and the spouse was not noted. This marriage apparently produced 9 children from 1755 to 1798, at Rawyards. Can anyone confirm that Gavin married twice. I have a couple of possiblities for the parents of Jean Waddell, but am not sure of any of them. Thanks. Jim Main

Scotland's People lists 9 children to Gavin Black Sr of Rawyards and Mary Wotherspoon: Jean 1729; John 1731; Gavin 1732; Helen 1735; James 1737; Isabel 1740; Alexander 1742; Mary 1746; Jean 1749. 

This Gavin Black Sr did remarry, but his second wife was Janet, not Jean, Waddell, and the marriage is in the New Monkland parish register in October 1752, though the entry omits any mention of the bride's name. Gavin B Sr and Janet W had 9 children: unnamed 1753; Elizabeth 1757; Mary and Helen 1759; William 1764 (my 3rd great-grandfather); John 1765; Robert 1766; Robert 1768.

His son Gavin Jr of Rawyards or Thralyeards b 1732 married Jean Waddell in November 1756 and the marriage is recorded in the New Monkland parish register: "1756, November, collected 2nd Sabbath; Gavin Black and Jean Waddell proclaimed 2/6". Jean was the daughter of John Waddell and Helen Wotherspoon, born 1738 at Ryden. Gavin Jr and Jean had eight chldren: Helen 1759; Gavin and Janet 1761; Mary 1762; John 1765; Gavin 1769; Alexander 1775; Jean 1778.

For all this information I am indebted to Gavin Waddell, who has more information about Waddells in general and the the New Monkland Waddells and their connections in particular than anyone else on the planet.

Is there any information regarding Janet Waddell's parents (wife of Gavin Black Sr)?  She is my 5g grandmother, and I inherited my MtDNA through her.  Thank you all for sharing the Black and Waddell info from New Monkland - I've already learned a lot!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Is there any information regarding Janet Waddell's parents (wife of Gavin Black Sr)?  She is my 5g grandmother, and I inherited my MtDNA through her.  Thank you all for sharing the Black and Waddell info from New Monkland - I've already learned a lot!
I wish! Janet Waddell, wife of Gavin Black Sr of Rawyards, was my 4ggm and I would also dearly like to know who her parents were.

We thought that she was one of the Ryden Waddells, but we realised that Janet Waddell, born 1715, daughter of John Waddell of Ryden and his wife Mary Waddell would have been 53 by the time Robert Black was born in 1768. She has to have been born between 1718 and 1738, but we have found no evidence to pin down her parentage. (Dare I say 'so far'?)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian

I'm sure you did, but I have to ask...did you considered Janet b 11 Jun 1721 Slamannan daughter of John/Janet Boyd.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you did, but I have to ask...did you considered Janet b 11 Jun 1721 Slamannan daughter of John/Janet Boyd.
Yes.

Searching on SP for J*n*t Wad*l* born 1718 to 1738 produces 32 results, 10 of whom are in Lanarkshire, 2 in Stirlingshire and 5 in West Lothian. Even just in New Monkland there are 3 results.

So I need to find some definite evidence of her identity independent of the OPR baptisms.

Offline cambus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 February 20 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes.

Searching on SP for J*n*t Wad*l* born 1718 to 1738 produces 32 results, 10 of whom are in Lanarkshire, 2 in Stirlingshire and 5 in West Lothian. Even just in New Monkland there are 3 results.

So I need to find some definite evidence of her identity independent of the OPR baptisms.

I did search through my copy of New Monkland Parish: Its History, Industries, and People ... With Numerous Portraits and Prints From Photographs, but did not find anything useful re. Janet Waddell.