Author Topic: World War 1 Casualty List Look Up  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War 1 Casualty List Look Up
« on: Tuesday 03 March 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone with a Genealogist Diamond Subscription who could possibly look up grandfather's record in the Casualty lists. I have trying to find out which battalion he served in and someone from Rootschat contacted me to say that he served with his grandfather with the KOYLI (Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry). His name was Charles Ernest Humble Anderson born 1898 Sunderland. Apparently this record has his full initials C E H Anderson. I have done a search in their new World War 1 Casualty list records and if you put in that name and 1917 it brings up his record which has his address so will confirm everything. The Genealogist does  not offer a pay per view option so I am hoping that someone will be able to look for me and maybe attach the record.
I have Ancestry and Find My Past subscriptions so would be happy to do a search in return.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: World War 1 Casualty List Look Up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Wasnt  this concluded in an earlier thread that he was 7th KOYLI?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ady,
Good to hear from you again. Yes you are right. I had a great deal of help from people regarding this and I have been able to gather a few records. I recently returned to this particular line of research and have downloaded the 7th KOYLI War Diary from the National Archives etc. That was fantastic value for £3.30 as there are 10 files. However, this particular document will prove it was him without doubt if it has his full name and address. I have been told that it is available in very large libraries but  thegenealogist.co.uk has just released the digitised images. I have the one from Find My Past but it doesn't have the additional information.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 21:38 GMT (UK) »

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Yes I have that record already. I paid £27 for it to be copied by the National Archives then later found it was on Find My Past. At the time I had one of the £1 a month subscriptions so I could have been able to view/save it for just £1 and saved a lot of money. That record shows his transfer from army to RFC then RAF. I can't understand the movements on it only that I think it says Deolali (my dad told me he served in India). His army career was quite brief and I only found he served in the army when I got his RFC record.
Julie

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Julie

I have read your other post regarding your grandfather and see that David Young has provided you with excellent info.

I presume this particular post to be referringto this bit of his info:
"  There are some sources you may wish to look up.
1. HMSO War Office Weekly Casualty Lists 1917-1918. These are the official published casualty lists and held at large Libraries (National Library of Scotland, British Library). "Anderson 36312 C.E.H. (Sunderland)" was posted wounded in the daily KOYLI entry on 25th October 1917. "

I have spent many days in the past looking up these W O Casualty Lists at the British Library (for another Regiment). I can assure you that the dataset (i.e, these Lists) on The Genealogist will not provide you with anything further to what David has provided  i.e he is on a list of KOYLI men wounded as                 
      "Anderson 36312 C.E.H. (Sunderland)"

It does not provide a battalion. It does not provide a full address.

Gwil