Author Topic: Henry Darnell Morgan  (Read 1533 times)

Offline fe_nyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry Darnell Morgan
« on: Thursday 05 March 15 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm hoping some lovely person can help me with this guy. I am after one piece of information from a more in depth baptism record for him than the one I have been able to locate.

Name:    Henry Darnell Morgan
Christening Date:    24 Apr 1842
Christening Place:    SAINT LEONARDS,SHOREDITCH,LONDON,ENGLAND
Birth Date:    06 Jan 1842
Father's Name:    Henry Morgan
Mother's Name:    Eliza

I can see the baptism record on another site, but I am unable to view it to check for the info I'm after.

What I am hoping someone could find out for me is the occupation (if listed) for his father Henry. I'm crossing my fingers that it matches with other information I have found, so that I can finally make a link I have been after for ages.

I would be extremely grateful if there is someone who can help with this.
Thanks in advance,
fe_nyx
Sumner, Warwickshire

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Darnell Morgan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 15 03:42 GMT (UK) »
I have looked on two sites and both only have the transcription not an image. Sometimes on ancestry they have the record in one set with only the transcription and then in another set with the transcription and the original image but I can't see an image in this case.
I note that Henry snr was a groom in the 1851 census but if I have the correct family in 1871 he was a stationer and his tribe of children including the adult ones were all at home and seemingly employed in the business. Their places of births had also changed from Shoreditch for all in 1851 to Marylebone and Lewisham for Henry and Eliza.  This is if it is the same family of course after just a quick look.

After a second look I am not too sure about that family in the 1871 census.

Offline fe_nyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 15 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking for me :)

The 1851 census you saw is correct, Henry snr goes on to be a "carman" for later records. The problem is that there are so many Henry Morgans in the area and they all seem to marry an Eliza!
I was hoping to make a link between Henry Richard Morgan, his wife Eliza Darnell and Henry Darnell Morgan. I'm pretty certain I have it right, but I wanted to try and get a bit more to confirm my thoughts, as it looks like Henry Darnell decides to change his name to Henry John and starts a long family tradition of working as a "French Polisher" (which leads to my g-g grandfather - another Henry - in New Zealand who committed suicide by drinking some of his polishing chemicals).

Henry Darnell/John Morgan and his siblings have their father Henry recorded as a carman on their Banns records, so I had hoped to find the same on the baptism record for Henry, just to tie it all up nicely.

Thanks again for having a look for me, I appreciate it :)
Sumner, Warwickshire

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 15 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I should be able to look up the record on the 14th if nobody has come up with it by then

Steve
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 March 15 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello
The record is
24 April 1842 Henry Darnell s of Henry and Eliza Morgan 1 pleasant now William St labourer born 6 Jan 1842.
I do think you have the right couple because a labourer might not  be a carman but he could be loading a cart or car and it's not as though he's a skilled trade that it would be unlikely that he would change.

Ps I've had a look at the marriage cert and Richard Henry Morgan is a minor labourer Pleasant Row s of Henry Morgan jeweller and Eliza Darnell is full age same address d of late John Darnell carman

Baptism St Sepulcre 18.5.1823
Henry Richard Morgan s of Henry and Elizabeth Morgan no 72 Cowcross St jeweller.
Ciderdrinker

Offline fe_nyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 March 15 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Ciderdrinker - that is awesome, thank you so much! That fits, as you have seen, with his occupation at the time of his marriage, which is what I was hoping to see.
I love it when things fall into place like this :)

Thanks everyone for the help and offers.
Sumner, Warwickshire