Author Topic: Antrim Road (Belfast) Elementary school  (Read 2962 times)

Offline joy.e

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Antrim Road (Belfast) Elementary school
« on: Friday 06 March 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
My mum ( 82 years old) went to the Antrim Road (Belfast) Elementary school...AKA 'The Bap' ??
I cant seem to find ANYTHING about this school online...can anyone give me any information about this school...like an alternative name/location  ???
barclay/sands/turner/sewell/pengilly/heritage/hodgson/campbell/cox/bussell/long/doherty
meigh/killeavy/forkhill/jonesborough/cascum/adavoyle/kilmore

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Antrim Road (Belfast) Elementary school
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 15 01:21 GMT (UK) »
The Antrim Road Public Elemtrary School
Attached to the Antrim Road Baptist Church, according to poster on this site http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,43931.15.html

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
The Antrim Road was and is one of the main arterial routes northwards out of Belfast. The 1932 Belfast street directory, courtesy of the Lennon Wylie website, shows the following:

202. R.U.C. Barracks, John Knox, sergeant
        Donald, Rev. C. S.
        Antrim Road Baptist Church
        Antrim Road P.E. School - David P. Higgins, principal (Figgins in 1943)

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/acomplete1932_2.htm

I think there must have been a bit of renumbering, for the 1943 Belfast street directory lists the following for Antrim Road, Belfast:

242. R.U.C. Barracks, John A. Knox, sergeant
244. Gardiner, Rev. Thomas R., M.A.
246. Antrim Road Baptist Church
248. Antrim Road P.E. School - David P. Figgins, principal

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/acomplete1943_2.htm

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 15 11:00 GMT (UK) »
If you type in 242 Antrim Road, Belfast into Google Maps then look at Streetview you can see the Baptist Church and the changes next to it.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Garyfer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 20 10:15 BST (UK) »
I attended antrim road baptist church primary school for P1. Known as the wee bap. It was down the side of the church. I got a slate bound with wooden edge and chalk to learn writing letters. It was one big hall to a 5 year old. The room was divided into classrooms by tall dark curtains on rails. P2 the school closed and I went to cliftonville primary. My mother was a pupil at the wee bap for all primary school years. The area then was Protestant including duncairn gardens hillman street and meadow street. As a teenager I attended the wee bap as my local church. The pastor was called Roy McMillan. A very Christian man. I am now 70 and live near London. Funny how clear my memory is of my early school years. They had 11th night bonfires at the junction of edlingham street and hillman street and my granny house stored the red white and blue streamers. Her name was violet Gordon a sort of ena sharpies type that knew everybody. Hope this information helps you

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 20 12:33 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Garyfer  :)

Lots of interesting information you have given  ;D

My OH still attends the dentist on the Antrim Road.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline E Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 September 21 03:05 BST (UK) »
I went to the Bap from 1942 to 1947 when I got the 11 plus and transferred to BRA.
Figgie was the headmaster (Mr. Figgins), Mr. Miller and Miss Boggs were teachers there also. My two younger brothers also were pupils there, now living in Australia
A previous contributor called Gary mentioned his granny, Violet Gordon. I lived opposite the Gordon’s and was a good friend of Jim and knew his mother, Sheila.
Small world
E.Thompson (Wilson)
Ontario Canada