Author Topic: John Mackie - Scotland to Germiston, Cape then???  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mackie - Scotland to Germiston, Cape then???
« on: Sunday 08 March 15 03:37 GMT (UK) »
I have had a 'too hard basket item' bothering me for years and would love to solve it.

John Mackie, b.1872, Montrose, Forfar, Scot. disapperared off my radar after the 1891 Scot. Census. He was mentioned in his father's  (John Mackie Snr. Mens' Outfitters, Montrose) Will written in 1905 as being in Germiston, South Africa. JM Snr. died in 1911 and this son was not mentioned in the local paper account  as being at his father's Funeral  Service with all other family members.

Findmypast now has him on the ship ' Norman' departing Southampton for the Cape on 9 Feb. 1900.

I have tried to find out where he went from there, did he marry and settle down or just die?

Is there anyone who can give me a few directions please?

Grateful for any help.

Faith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Mackie - Scotland to Germiston, Cape then???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 15 07:06 GMT (UK) »
If he came out in 1900 there is a possibility he fought in the Boer war 1900-1902! Found this.
DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    SGO                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO III/1/295                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE SG30/1911                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          SECRETARY, LAND BOARD: FORWARDS PARTICULARS REGARDING LAND FOR THE   
           CULTIVATION OF SUGAR CANE TO JOHN MACKIE.                           
STARTING  19110000                                                             
ENDING    19110000                                                             
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 15 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pampoen, I never thought of that after even reading about the 'Norman' transporting troops to the Boer War! Will try and follow that through.
Faith.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 15 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you need it ...

SECRETARY, LAND BOARD: FORWARDS PARTICULARS REGARDING LAND FOR THE CULTIVATION OF SUGAR CANE TO JOHN MACKIE.                           
1911                                                                                                                     

Whether John Mackie was enquiring on his own account or on behalf of his employers, it would have been a good time for investment.
The hard work had been done over the previous 60 or so years and the sugar industry, based in Natal and Zululand, was in a healthy state, with production and exports increasing steadily and imports decreasing rapidly.

If you need to follow this up, the book to use would be "Valiant Harvest - The Founding of the South African Sugar Industry 1848-1926" by Robert F Osborn, pub 1964. Whilst the name John Mackie does not appear in the comprehensive index, his employers(?) may do.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 March 15 02:44 GMT (UK) »
   It's a small world, thank you sugarbakers (I love the name!) as my 1st cousin 3 times removed on my maternal side, Sir Charles George Smith ex Dartmouth, London and Durban was also involved in the sugar business! A direct descendant of his in Cape Town sent me an attachment of 'A Great Natalian', a privately  published and owned book of his life and times in the Natalian sugar industry. For me it ticked all the boxes regarding his life and times as I had been searching for him for years after he grew up in London. Plus I had a lot of help from people on this board and I had managed to see bits of the Valient Harvest on Google.

Now your mention of John Mackie (2nd cousin once removed on my paternal side) perhaps  being involved in the sugar industry in some way or other makes this all the more fascinating as the date would fit in after his return from the Boer War - if indeed he did enlist. I'm following that up.

How wonderful, thank you so much.

Faith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 March 15 12:24 GMT (UK) »
I found this.
Mackie   John      Major   MACKIE, JOHN, Major, was born 9 May 1857, eldest son of James Mackie, of Bargaly, Kirkcudbright. He served in the South African War. He was mentioned in Despatches; awarded the Queen's Medal with three clasps, the King's Medal with two clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 27 September 1901]: "John Mackie, Major, 3rd Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa". The Insignia were presented by the King 24 October 1902; the Warrant sent 4 November 1902. Major Mackie married, in 1910, Violet, eldest daughter of Sir Oswald Mosley, 1st Baronet.
Source: DSO recipients (VC and DSO Book)   King's Own Scottish Borderers
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 March 15 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Now that's interesting, thank you pampoen but unfortunately not my John Mackie. My JM
 was born in 1872, son of John Mackie, Men's Outfitters, Montrose, Scotland. However, it is interesting to see the mention of Oswald Mosley in that family!

Thanks for your time spent on my topic, Faith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Barrie good news luckily there are now digitised marriage records for natal on familysearch.
Name: John Millar Mackie 
Event Type: Marriage 
Event Date: 27 Mar 1905 
Event Place: Durban, Natal, South Africa 
Birth Year (Estimated): 1872 
Spouse's Name: Jane Fairnington 
Spouse's Gender: Female 
Spouse's Age: 35 
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1870
If you click on this link it will take you to the page where you can open the marriage certificate. Hopefully this is your man. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDCG-JPR

Regards Derek

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Here is the estate notice for Jane Mackie.
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 5152/51                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MACKIE, JANE. BORN FAIRNINGTON.                                       
STARTING  19510000                                                             
ENDING    19510000                                                             
REMARKS   PREDECEASED SPOUSE JOHN MILLAR MACKIE.