Author Topic: Kidderminster area help - Bladon  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kidderminster area help - Bladon
« on: Monday 09 March 15 09:40 GMT (UK) »
This is long shot but sometime a different person looking at a puzzle can find an answer!

I have my Bladon family back to the late 1400’s which I have been researching for over 20 years.

Many years ago I came across the 1881 census and Margaretta Theodora Bladon (although married to a Walker at the time) was at Oxton Cheshire with an Emma Worrall ‘niece’ and her son William Bladon Edgar Worrall (Edgar) ‘cousin’ (although Margaretta is listed a daughter to the head of the household, William her father is elsewhere). I know relationships were haphazard in the past. I obtained Emma’s marriage and she gave her father as Thomas Bladon gardener. Margareta’s father didn’t have a brother called Thomas however he was a gardener at that time and married in 1850 at Chester although he was from Tardebigge where his father Edward was gamekeeper.

I found Emma on all the census's apart from 1901 – she is with the Gore family in 1851 Chester , at Wrexham workhouse 1861, Lower Kinnerton 1871 – never with her parents. As she gave her son the name of Bladon and she died as Emma Bladon Worrall I’ve no doubt she was a Bladon but who were her parents?

Her birth is anything from 1841-1848 in (Scotland 1851) and Kidderminster. No birth has been found

I decided to look into the Gore family considering she is with them as a 5 year old. They were from Childwall Lancashire and moved to Chester around 1851. William Gore in 1854 was admitted to Liverpool asylum and I've come to the conclusion they are not any relation to Emma.

I am certain William Bladon is Emma's father and her mother possibly died not long after her birth hence him moving to the Chester area. His wife Margaret was brought up in Scotland which is possibly where the confusion over Emma is stated t ohave been born there in 1851 census arose.  Maybe Margaret (Williams wife) was the person who arranged everything with the Gores.   William was from Worcestershire and his siblings stayed in the area and 2 brothers went to Australia.

I have Margaret Walkers fathers will - he was John Walker a renowned huntsman.  He left £300 to William and the rest of his estate to his daughter only with no part going to her current or future husband.  Does this indicate Emma is his daughter?

So I am wondering if anyone can help solve the mystery. There are no births under Bladon in that timeframe so it may be PR ?

I attach Emma Bladon Worrall – notes on the Worrall, Gore and Bladon family (census etc)

Helena
 Derbyshire

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kidderminster area help - Bladon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 15 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Here's a connection
Edward and Elizabeth Bladon had the following children at Tardebigg St Barts
John 9.3.1820
Marianne 2.7.1822
Emma 18.12.1824
William 29.4.1827
Samuel 21.12.1828
Elizabeth 13.3.1831
Edward 25.8.1833
Walter 20.12.1835
Hannah Caroline 25.3.1838
Sarah 24.5.1840

If Thomas the gardener from Chester father was an Edward from Tardebigg that would make him and William brothers and Emma his neice as per the 1881 when Margaret T was the 'daughter' despite being head of the household.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 15 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been through the Tardebigge PR, census and have a copy of Edwards will and he definitely didn't have a son called Thomas

Williams daughter Margareta married the same year as Emma Bladon Worrall and named her father Williams occupation as gardener.  HE was also listed in the Oxton trade directories 1871-1881 as being a gardener in this period

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible Emma was the illegitimate child of one of William Bladon's sisters and the details of her father on her marriage cert were fictional but based on her uncle??

Kay

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 March 15 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder this Emma b1824 married in 1846 so it can't be her, Mary Ann is the only other sister it could be as the others would be too young.

Mary Ann was a ladies maid for the Earl of Powis before 1841 (1841 and 1851 census).  She was a witness at Williams marriage in 1850.  In 1854 she married Henry Clark also a steward for the Earl of Powis.  The following year she left as she had their son but he seems to have been brought up by her parents Edward and Elizabeth as she was a ladies maid in 1861 but not for the Earl of Powis.

My thoughts are if she was Emma's mother then she wouldn't have still been working for the Earl of Powis in 1851 after having an illegitimate child?

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 March 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Was Mary Ann in Shropshire in 1841/51?   Certainly closer to Chester?

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 March 15 13:04 GMT (UK) »
She was at Berkley Sq St George Hanover square in 1841 and Walcott, Clun in 1851 at the Earl of Powis residence