Author Topic: Fort Fareham Hampshire in 1871  (Read 853 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fort Fareham Hampshire in 1871
« on: Tuesday 10 March 15 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any information on Fort Fareham. I found an ancestor there on census for 1851,  Jane Dunsby  as a dressmaker with her sister Mary.  Next to them on the page was William Hartley, a soldier,  who I know married their sister Annie.   She was at home with her mother and their new baby.

I presume Jane and Mary happened to be visiting at the time of the census and not actually living there.

I have searched online to see what I could find about the Fort but not found very much.   I think there were a number of such forts built along the coast for defence in the 1800's ?

Thank you for any information so I can get a better picture of the girls being there.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Fareham Hampshire in 1871
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You could try emailing this society -
http://www.palmerstonfortssociety.org.uk/

Sue

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 12:55 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for these replies.   I had looked at both these websites.   Perhaps there no more to know !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA