Author Topic: Robert Brown, Troon  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Brown, Troon
« on: Wednesday 11 March 15 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to find out the parentage of Robert Brown, Seaman.

He was born in 1898 in Prestwick/Dundonald (but I can't find this birth record) and married Agnes Irvine in Dundonald in 1828.

I can see the census records from 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 for him and Agnes, where they live in Troon.

Agnes died in 1872. I wonder if anyone can find when Robert died after that? I can't find a death record or any further census records for him. ((A sister-in-law Mary was living with them in 1871 and she died in 1877, with Robert listed on the death certificate as being with her, so he was alive then))

An help appreciated!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Brown, Troon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

He was born in 1898 in Prestwick/Dundonald

Suspect you may mean 1798?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 23:31 GMT (UK) »
By 1871 he would have been in his 70's so very doubtful he would have still been working as a seaman

Presume he isn't on the 1881 census?

Is he shown as alive on Agnes's death cert?  If so - what was her full date of death so the search for his death can be narrowed
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 15 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kipper5,

You mention that you believe Robert was still alive in 1877 due to the fact that his sister-in-law Mary died that year and that he is listed on the death certificate as being with her.
Do you mean that he signed (or made his mark) the register as informant of this woman's death?
Does the record give his relationship to her as 'brother-in-law'? 
Only thinking that it could be another Robert Brown - a younger relative with same name ??

If it is Robert recorded on that death record and he isn't on the 1881 Census , that gives you a short window to check.
Did Robert ans Agnes have any children? If so could he as an elderly man on his own gone to live with one of them.....perhaps dying outside Ayrshire??

Just a few thoughts.

Looby :)

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thanks for the prompt replies.
Yes, sorry, Robert Brown was born in Prestwick, Ayr in 1798.

He and wife Agnes Irvine do not seem to have had any children. None appear when I search, and also there are never any listed in any of the census'.

The 1871 census has Robert Brown, Seaman aged 73 born in Ayr, wife Agnes Brown, aged 68 born in Irvine, and sister-in-law Mary Brown, widow aged 74 born in Ayr. All living in Troon.

Agnes Brown nee Irvine died on 13 Jan 1872 aged 68 in Troon. The death certificate states that she was married to Robert Brown, Seaman and the certificate was signed by Robert Brown, husband.

Mary Brown (need Shaw) died on 30 March 1877 aged 80 in Troon. The certificate states that she was widow of John Brown, Seaman. It was signed by Robert Brown, but I can't make out the informant's qualification-relationship; the signature is similar to that on Agnes' certificate 5 years previously, but is abit more wobbly. I have attached Mary Brown's death certificate; maybe someone can make the wording out of the relationship.. I do think it is Robert though.

I have searched the 1881 census information and there is no other Robert Brown from Ayr aged 82-84.

Thanks

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 15 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kipper,

Thanks for the info.
I would say that the status of Robert Brown is Occupier   :-\

I wonder who would do the honours and register Robert's death if he had no family. Rememer the person who did so may not have known Robert's proper age and may have taken a guess .

I can't find him on 1881 so I would assume he had died prior to that Census.

Looby :)

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Looby.

Robert Brown (if he is who I think he is) would have had a nephew+family in Ireland, but I can't find any trace of him there either.

I did have a thought that he would be buried beside his wife Agnes Brown nee Irvine/sister-in-law Mary Brown nee Shaw, who died in Troon in 1872 and 1877. I emailed the Cemeteries office of S.Ayrshire giving the dates of death of Agnes and Mary Brown, to see where they are buried and then who else is buried with them. I haven't heard back yet.

Moreover, I know that Robert Brown was a Merchant Seaman. I wonder if there would be records showing his pension and as such I could find when he died?

Thanks again for the help.