Author Topic: Just received by Ancestry DNA results...  (Read 21485 times)

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Just received by Ancestry DNA results...
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 April 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply. Results were downloaded and sent to familytreeDNA and Prosapia Genetics. I would be interested to hear about other programs/software I could download to.
Franklin, Maish/Marsh from Dorset then London,Simons/Symonds and varients from Kiddington, Oxfordshire, Hanks from Stonesfield, Leach from Brighton, Smith from Brighton & Henley, Oxfordshire, Fakes/Feakes @ Wells from Suffolk, Lane from Botley & Basingstoke,  Reynolds from Norfolk, Douglass from Bethnal Green, later in Reading and Barnes/Richmond Surrey, Sibley from Hillingon @ Hayes Middx, Tansell @ Watton

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 April 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Suggest you also consider gedmatch.com as this is a site where there are uploads from FTDNA, Ancestry and 23andme.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 April 15 15:30 BST (UK) »
Jeanne. Look this up on google and found the following information: Even though siblings share half their DNA, they can share any number of markers in a DNA test.  They might match up at all of them or none of them.  Or more likely, they will match up at some number in between.

This might seem weird at first.  After all, two siblings share half of their DNA.  So they should share of half their DNA in a DNA test too, right?

Well this would be true if a DNA test looked at all of a person’s DNA.  Unfortunately, very few of them do.  Instead, they look at only 15 or 20 out of millions and millions of possible spots.

Because these tests look at so few markers, by chance, one sibling might end up sharing only some DNA at the markers tested.  Or they might not share any DNA at all.
Franklin, Maish/Marsh from Dorset then London,Simons/Symonds and varients from Kiddington, Oxfordshire, Hanks from Stonesfield, Leach from Brighton, Smith from Brighton & Henley, Oxfordshire, Fakes/Feakes @ Wells from Suffolk, Lane from Botley & Basingstoke,  Reynolds from Norfolk, Douglass from Bethnal Green, later in Reading and Barnes/Richmond Surrey, Sibley from Hillingon @ Hayes Middx, Tansell @ Watton

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 April 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
 :D ??? ;D.  Umm yeeessss! OK!

Thank you so much for that, - I think!

Seriously, I really appreciate your looking that up for me, and I will study it diligently until it penetrates what little grey matter I have left after being in the 18th century for the last week or so!

Thanks again😃
Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 April 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
To Craclyn, Thank you for the suggestion of the web site gedmatch.com. I have now downloaded the results to them.

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 April 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Do these websites cost money?
I've had a look at a couple and saw a fee on one.
Are there any you can download results to but are free?
Thanks
Serjeant/ Sergeant/ Surgun/
Ipswich, Suffolk......
Shaw - Halifax area, (Ovenden, Northowram, Brighouse), Yorkshire......
Garratt - Crich/Belper/Ambergate, Derbyshire......
Elliott - Dewsbury, Yorkshire.....
Kay - Walton, Yorkshire.....
Griffiths - East Dean, Gloucestershire.....

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 April 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
None that I know of. My feeling is don't waste your money until they get a lot cheaper!

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 April 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
I transferred my Ancestry DNA data to FTDNA for free yesterday but a message came up telling me I had to get three other friends to do the same thing before it was free or pay US$39. As I did not want to drag anyone else into what I suspected was a chain letter type of sales pitch I decided to pay the US$39. What did I get, not much really apart from a couple of pages of matches which to be honest was little different to what I already had with Ancestry.

The FTDNA website had a number of tabs to click for various types of processes and results but seemed to involve parting with your money at each step of the way.

There was a section on MyOrigins which I hoped would confirm something similar to what Ancestry had for me but all that appeared was a demo. There was however a blue bar at the top of the page showing 95% complete and the words "You're almost done! We'll finish processing your results in 3-5 business days". I am hoping that this is to process my DNA raw data and come up with an ethnicity estimate similar to Ancestry, if not then I will feel conned. >:(

100%Gog
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 April 15 18:26 BST (UK) »
There was however a blue bar at the top of the page showing 95% complete and the words "You're almost done! We'll finish processing your results in 3-5 business days". I am hoping that this is to process my DNA raw data and come up with an ethnicity estimate similar to Ancestry, if not then I will feel conned. >:(

Yes its just a case of being a little patient.

You my find that ftDNA gives a different result for your origins for perfectly valid reasons as have been discussed in various blogs and in the ftDNA forum (and maybe on the Ancestry forum although I have not looked at that)

At least you could transfer your results. I have just had a reply back from Ancestry saying they do not, presently, allow people to transfer results into them which is disappointing as I wanted to see how their shakey origin tool would have interpreted my autosomal results.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.