Author Topic: Salem Chapel, Warren Road, Rhyl  (Read 2323 times)

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Salem Chapel, Warren Road, Rhyl
« on: Saturday 14 March 15 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know when Burials would have ceased at Salem Chapel Warren Road, Rhyl and if there are Parish Records for burials available? A newspaper clipping has come to light mentioning the second wife of my Great, Great Grandfather John Williams. Mrs Williams of Glynwood Cottage helped out with teas at the Chapel in 1898. I presume therefore that her and her husband were members of that Chapel. I know where Ellen Williams is buried but I have not been able to find John Williams' place of burial, so I am hoping he might be buried in this Chapel, or maybe people who attended this Chapel were buried in a different Chapel??
Kind Regards
Nerys
Morris - Gwytherin/Llangernyw/Pandy Tudur
Blore - Efenechtyd/Clocaenog
Bloor - Cwm/Newmarket Wales
Price - Llangwm, Poulton cum Seacomb/Bebington
Roberts - Llanelidan - 'Pantrwth' Eyarth, Liverpool, Sheffield, Llanrwst
Roberts - Brookhouse Denbigh, Bontuchel
Williams - Abergele
Hughes - Llanfairtalhaiarn
Jones - Llangynhafal

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Salem Chapel, Warren Road, Rhyl
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello cnerys,

The Genuki site for Rhyl shows that the Parish Registers for Salem Chapel, Warren Road are held at the Denbighshire Record Office and the holding covers baptisms and burials for the years 1913-1921.

Records show that in 1905, this chapel had 234 "adherents".

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Rhyl/

There might be more information available from either the Denbighshire Record Office, or the Clwyd Family History Society.

Jo.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Nerys:
Salem Chapel is situated amongst a row of houses and there is no burial ground connected to it. Warren Road starts at Wellington Road and leads to the 'H' bridge which crosses the railway. 1898 was roughly the start of the Maes Hyfryd cemetery along Dyserth Road. The previous cemetery at Morley Road was full but still taking re-openings.
Was Ellen Williams buried at one of these cemeteries? I could check for a headstone and let you have the inscriptions. (note: Morley Road cemetery has been landscaped, but records are kept at Rhyl library)
Regards Eldon.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Eldon,
Thank you for your reply. I know that Ellen Williams, my  GGGrandfather's second wife is buried in Bebington, whether that's where her parents are too I haven't looked into that. I can't find a record of John Williams being buried there too. John's first wife Mary died between 1885 and 1891 and because the name is very common we haven't been able to get the correct death cert for her without spending a lot of money, so we don't know where she is buried either. They did live in Abergele. John's parents are buried in Abergele but I can't find a positive burial for him there, so the only other option was Rhyl as they lived in 'Glynwood' Cottages, Foryd. I don't know where to look really, so the little snippet of info on Salem was a bit of hope, but that doesn't look positive now either.
Kind Regards
Nerys
Morris - Gwytherin/Llangernyw/Pandy Tudur
Blore - Efenechtyd/Clocaenog
Bloor - Cwm/Newmarket Wales
Price - Llangwm, Poulton cum Seacomb/Bebington
Roberts - Llanelidan - 'Pantrwth' Eyarth, Liverpool, Sheffield, Llanrwst
Roberts - Brookhouse Denbigh, Bontuchel
Williams - Abergele
Hughes - Llanfairtalhaiarn
Jones - Llangynhafal

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
St Asaph  or Bodelwyddan  or St Georges  would be alternatives  near to  Abergele.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich