Author Topic: Van Bruggan Marriage, Fulham  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Rebecca Cockcroft

• RootsChat Extra
  • Newbie Researcher :)
    • View Profile
Van Bruggan Marriage, Fulham
« on: Saturday 14 March 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Good evening all :)

I'm after a bit of hunting advice - I'm trying to find the Marriage of my Great Grandmother, Alberta Harriette Van Bruggan/ Van Bruggen to Henry James Powell in Fulham. I have no idea on any dates for him, but I'm fairly sure on her dates - b. Oct 1891 d. Sep 1930.

My Nan never really knew her as she was only 2 when she died, and was raised by her Grandparents instead, and sadly she passed away herself last year, so I don't really have anyone to ask.

I understand he was in the Merchant Navy, but I don't know that for certain.

If anyone can help it would be really appreciated - this has been a brick wall for some time :(

Thank you
Cockcroft, Parsons, Lay, Atkins, Hewitt, Dowling, Carrodus, Webb, Van Bruggen, Powell

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Van Bruggan Marriage, Fulham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I can see Alberta's birth on FreeBMD, and also her death.
I can see your Nan's birth in 1928. Mother's maiden name of Van Bruggon or Van Bruggen.

But I'm not seeing a marriage?

Maybe they didn't go through a formal marriage?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I can see Alberta's birth on FreeBMD, and also her death.
I can see your Nan's birth in 1928. Mother's maiden name of Van Bruggon or Van Bruggen.

But I'm not seeing a marriage?

Maybe they didn't go through a formal marriage?

That's my thought at the minute :( I'm not sure where to head next to find anything about him. I've found a few Henry James Powells on merchant navy lists, but it's impossible to tell which one might be him as I don't have a DOB :(

Thank you for your reply :)
Cockcroft, Parsons, Lay, Atkins, Hewitt, Dowling, Carrodus, Webb, Van Bruggen, Powell

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
The earliest birth i can see that looks be to that couple is in 1920, so maybe before then?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 15 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I can find Henry James and Alberta in the electoral registers in Pearscroft Lane, Fulham. 

Henry is there in 1918, Alberta appears first in 1923, but you have to remember she wouldn't be eligible to vote until late 1921, when she was 30. 1922 doesn't appear to be there

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 15 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I can find Henry James and Alberta in the electoral registers in Pearscroft Lane, Fulham. 

Henry is there in 1918, Alberta appears first in 1923, but you have to remember she wouldn't be eligible to vote until late 1921, when she was 30. 1922 doesn't appear to be there

I believe my Nan was the youngest of 10, but I can only find 5. I'm not sure whether her older siblings were maybe half siblings and her father older or...? My Dad said she didn't get on with her older siblings as they were quite a bit older, and I'm not sure the 8 year gap between her and James would be enough.

So confused :( I'm not adverse to buying certificates, but I don't even think that would help at the minute!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 March 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the names of the older children - their mother's maiden name may help matters 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 March 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the names of the older children - their mother's maiden name may help matters

I don't :( Really wish I'd asked my Nan all this before she passed away. She wasn't really one to talk about family as I think she had quite a rough upbringing.

Thank you for trying to help :)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 March 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I know Alberta was working as a Domestic in 1911, but she was also living at home with her parents, I have her on the census. So if they did marry I guess it must have been between then and 1923, but I could see them having kids before then if they had so many. I'm so confused!! Lol!